Still Photography - Gear, Settings, Tips & Tricks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
One thing helpful is to shoot in manual. Unless there are shadows on the field, each spot should meter nearly the same. Reduce the number of variables you have to deal with; or rather, automatic miscalculations that sometimes can ruin an otherwise perfect shot. At various points before you want to take a series of shots, set your aperture to the DOF you are trying to achieve. Point your camera at an area of the field that has the most balanced light. Adjust your shutter speed until the meter is in the center. Make sure ISO is as low as possible but still allowing shutter to be at least 1/1000 with good light....night is a different animal. 100 is best (the lowest native ISO for your camera is best...that isn't always the lowest number), but occasionally go as high as 400.

I like to bring a step ladder and shoot over the fence behind the dugout. This allows me to do a couple things:
1.) Shooting over the fence is far easier than shooting through it. Chain link fence can screw with your auto-focus. It also allows you to quickly pan without having to point the lens through a fence opening.
2.) Sitting high and shooting low keeps sky and lights out of the shot. This will help with metering.
3.) Can help you shoot over people on the field, between you and the action (coaches, umps, etc.).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have some great still photography shots of my DDs running the bases...because it was really hard to tell the difference between when they were still and when they were running.

Aug 19, 2016
There's some great advice in here...the only thing I have to add is when you're shooting action shots...I always use burst mode (may be called continous mode,etc on other cameras).

Apr 28, 2016
Just to keep this post going, I shot these at our high school and middle school season openers on Friday. My daughters are bothe pitcher. Don’t forget that action shots and and some stills are equally fun!

20c3359e53a0137b846018dbccc1d14a.jpg
2086d213921aa463bd88d8a8672f0d8c.jpg
44e09eac5a9db23dc5fd90fe4fd826c9.jpg
95a27f6c0179dec2767fe51f90ce5632.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Last year I bought a Tamron SP A011 Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon EF - 150mm-600mm - F/5.0-6.3 for my Cannon. 80D. I had gotten frustrated shooting with my 55 - 200 mm zoom lens. I started feeling like every picture looked the same. Now, with the longer lens, i can zoom in tight for facial expressions, or pull back for normal action shots. The longer lens also opens up other parts of the field to shoot from. I can work the outfield fence when we are batting, and zoom in and get shots of the batter, catcher and ump, all facing towards me.

It's a bit heavy at 4.5 lbs. If the fence is not too tall, I use it with a mono pod. For taller fences, I stand on a bucket, and hand shoot, which is not too bad, as you end up using the fence to steady the shots.

I've been really pleased with the images I've been able to get with this Tamron lens.

I also struggle with auto focus. But, then I remind myself how many shots I'd ruin if I had to manual focus.

Jul 12, 2019
Those are some great/fun shots from both Canonq and Sandrahd! I think I aim stylistically towards what Sandrahd's trying to do (tight shots when possible, candids as well as action, getting instruction from a coach, etc), but she's doing better than what I've been getting. I also have that "watching the play" problem.

I do Nikon and like many here use a 2.8 70-200. I alternate between shutter priority and manual+autoISO (where I set the shutter fast enough to freeze action and adjust the aperture to whatever DOF I'm interested in, then I let auto-ISO handle the exposure; add ND filters on bright days). When I can, I move around and try to get different perspectives which is how I try to add variety (both baselines, behind the plate, beyond the fence, etc). I also have found monopods helpful, especially if you are going to crop extensively to manufacture a "tight shot".

Recently I have been playing with getting pics of coaches'/players' reactions (dugout shots away from the action) during/after big plays, which can again add variety.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2016
I discovered something new recently. I find that shooting through silver chain link results in a reflection of light that reads as haze. The “de-haze” feature in Lightroom handles this VERY well!

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I love taking pics of my girls games. I like to shoot from behind home plate whenever possible. I just got a 150-600 so I’m looking forward to being able to shoot from outfield and get pics of my DD who is a catcher.
5238e7e4202733c97f1eddbde6f50742.jpg
9969da21af5180e59ec248f04862a6df.jpg
a5d52f4053ba87902321743a3df411e7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802