stepping out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
we just got a player that works very hard but, i've noticed against live pitching she is stepping out of the box.also, closing her eyes from time to time. any ideas ?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
During practice and hitting in the cage. I use a concrete block or a bucket 1/2 full of concrete to step into at stride. My concrete block has carpet on the bottom since I have to take it for clinics on wood floors. One other thing. Uses mirros with girls. They want to see what they are doing wrong, not just told like boys. Stand behind them and act like a pitcher and have the practice swnging so they can see themself. A learned this from a very good hitting coach .

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
DFW
Gvm

Need a little more detail here. What age are we talking about and how long has she been in front of live pitching? The bucket drill suggested by SB will help but if she is afraid of the ball there isnt a bucket in the world that will stop her from stepping out if she puts her mind to it in the batters box due to fear. Did she get plunked hard at an early age? ;)

Dana.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
How old is the girl? Like ifuildit said. If she is really scared of the ball she will fin away to get around the bucket. My daughter, who is 12 now, had the same problem. Her hitting coach switched her from taking a stride while hitting to using the "texas pivot". We only had one tournament since she switched and it seem to help some. Hopefully, working on it all winter will have it fixed come April.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Sorry. Texas Pivot is simply still triggering with the front foot, but instead of striding the front foot stays in place and the heel goes up and down. Or some of the older girls I have seen do it actually pivot their front foot towards the pitcher. So, the back heel would pivot to the pitcher and then back to the start position. When the heel comes back that is when the swing starts. Just a different triggering device is all. Hopefully, that makes any sense.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Is the Texas pivot, your balanced is maintained by having some pressure on your leading foot’s forefoot? Then you drop your leading foot’s heal to start your weight transfer? Leeding foot never leaves the ground?

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Yes the front foot never leaves the ground. When the ball is at 12:00 above the pitchers head the batter pivots the heal toward the pitcher and then when it comes back it acts like the heel slamming down and the swing starts.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
Need a little more detail here. What age are we talking about and how long has she been in front of live pitching? The bucket drill suggested by SB will help but if she is afraid of the ball there isnt a bucket in the world that will stop her from stepping out if she puts her mind to it in the batters box due to fear. Did she get plunked hard at an early age? ;)

Dana.

10 yr. old. never been hit from a pitch? she's been working real hard on her hitting but backs out in the game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802