Stepping backward before stepping forward

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Long story short- yesterday I was told that in LL the pitcher can step back, off the pitching plate before starting the forward motion.

My understanding was that you start with both feet on the rubber/plate and can only step forward.

In the ASA rulebook it says after hands separate you can only move forward.

does this mean a pitcher can step backwards when starting the pitch as long as her hands are still together?

does LL have different rules on this than ASA?

I'm feeling like the lunatics are running the asylum.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The NCAA-ASA-NSA-AFA require that both feet touch the rubber when the pitching motion starts. The feet can only move forward.

BUT: There is a lot of variation with the smaller organization. E.g., many state high school softball rules allow the pitcher to "step back" off the rubber with one foot before starting her forward motion.

Most good pitchers follow the "two feet on the rubber" rule because they play ASA-NSA-AFA travel ball.

Ray

May 9, 2008
LL pitching rules 8.01(d) the pitcher shall take a position with his or her pivot foot in contact with the pitching plate. This contact must be on or partially on the top surface of the pitching plate. The non-pivot foot must be on or behind the pitching plate.
8.01(g) A backward step may be taken before or simultaneous with the hands being brought together. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitching plate at all times prior to the forward step.

Yes in LL the pitcher can take a step back, no the hands don't have to stay together during this step.

May 12, 2008
For injury prevention reasons I'd prefer to see the one foot on rule become universal. Makes for a smoother less stressful acceleration. If this upsets the balance of power between pitcher and hitter the plate could be moved back.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478