Stealing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
At 1B, be sure the player has their right foot to the side of the bag, and not directly behind it (basically, don't stand in the middle of the bag). This avoids the back foot catching the bag as they start.

I'm starting to teach (10U) keeping the body facing 2B, and just turn the head on the leadoff. They're only taking 2 steps anyway before it's to (or by) the catcher. Theoretically, this should cut down on the need to get sideways, shuffle, then restart if the ball is in the dirt.

Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
18U DD has settled on having back foot on base to push off. She says you are farther into base path.
She has tried other styles, but this is what works for her now. Will see if he College Coach concurs...

She is a speedster, so your mileage might vary... :)

As a spectator I have seen the rocker style get her called out because of the motion before the pitch is released...

Have also seen plenty of girls 3 steps to the next base before the pitch is released without being called out. This sometimes keeps happening even with attention being drawn to it...

shirt calls are just part of the game in my book... Took a while to get here, but learned not to sweat the little shirt even if it messes up her base stealing stats... lol

Nov 11, 2019
We steal ALOT. In fact, we run until you prove you can throw us out. We teach dominate leg back cuz you get an extra step so you can leave alittle early but we never coach actually leaving early. We feel that in TB you will get called out, probably at the worst time. We usually pull back a bunt or take the pitch.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Over the summer I recorded a USA vs Japan game. I was using the slo-mo on my recorder to watch the pitchers and realized that I could see when the runners on second left the base and how it matched the pitchers release. Many of the Japanese runners were 2 steps off at release and eventually one got called out. But there was a lot of variation in when the runners left the base. One thing that surprised me was that one of the US's fastest runners also had one of the latest starts. Go figure!

I am an assistant coach for our 14 u travel team and I coach first base. I like to steal right off the bat to get the game going set the tone that we are going to be aggressive. I will continue to steal, double steals, delay steals until appososing team stops it. Runs are a premium and they matter on seeding and bracket play.

Feb 15, 2017
I am an assistant coach for our 14 u travel team and I coach first base. I like to steal right off the bat to get the game going set the tone that we are going to be aggressive. I will continue to steal, double steals, delay steals until appososing team stops it. Runs are a premium and they matter on seeding and bracket play.

Outs are a premium too and I don’t like giving them to the other team. A class ball that we play each team may only have a couple players that can do that at 2nd and very few at 3rd. We are “selectively aggressive “

Outs are a premium too and I don’t like giving them to the other team. A class ball that we play each team may only have a couple players that can do that at 2nd and very few at 3rd. We are “selectively aggressive “
I agree totally and the key to those things happening is the catcher and shortstop. If that tandom is on all that slows way dow and selectively aggressive takes over for sure

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Not every team can be blessed with a team full of speedsters, but EVERY team can be blessed with a roster full of smart base runners!

I've coached 1B in HS for the last 4 years, one thing I absolutely harp on is my base runners reading a bad pitch 2/3 of the way home. If you even think it's going to be in the dirt, or if it's going to change the catchers position, you better be running! Of course the situation of the game can and will dictate some of that aggressiveness.

I have a Head Coach that'll tell you I won us a State Championship in 2018 with base running calls........and one bunt call in absolutely the exact time we should have NEVER called for a bunt!

Feb 20, 2019
First, let me say that I hate the tight bases with stealing rule in softball. It is the worst rule in softball, with the look back rule being a close second. I understand there is no "stretch" with pick-offs in softball (I wish there was), so lead-offs are not possible. However, being called out for leaving early is just wrong - the punishment doesn't fit the crime. I think the runner should be forced to return to the base with a warning the first 1 or 2 times, then be called out if it happens a 2nd or 3rd time, similar to the false start in track.

Now, I was always the SB leader on my baseball team and reading the pitcher to get a good lead was an art form. Getting a good lead off/jump was crucial in a successful steal. So, having one foot behind the base was a completely foreign concept to me. In fact, I laughed at it the first time I saw it. DD is a speedster and always leads her team in SBs too. She has experimented with starting positions and has settled on having one foot behind the base. I'm still torn on if it makes a difference either way. I've timed her and noticed very little difference in her speed.

The challenge has been more on timing than foot position. The 1B typically positions herself so the base runner's view of the pitcher is obstructed and DD has gotten some bad jumps on straight steals. The 1B coach needs to recognize this and do a better job. So, I agree with Northball's advice that much of the burden falls on the 1B coach to help the runner and teach her to look for signs he/she may be seeing.

Oct 14, 2016
Runs are paramount to a successful game. Stealing is a great tool.

What I teach:
Runner is in a Track Running Starter Position, with the bag used similar to a track starting block. Low, with left foot on the outer edge of the bag, right foot off to the back side. (Never behind the bag). I do allow some of my runners to place their left foot next to the back instead of on the front edge. On a side note, runner has number of outs displayed in their right hand to help them remember.

Runners move when the Pitcher's pivot foot leaves the pitcher's plate. We don't look at arm position because every pitcher is different. (i.e. Lefty/Righty) The foot is IMO easier to read and see. My more advanced players can look at the hand to try to determine pitch, for change-ups, but these are my green light kiddos.

We emphasize hard off the bag, staying low for three steps before getting tall in the run.

How to Train leaving on time:
I have two whistles. I blow the whistle on the release of the ball, my assistant blows the whistle on the runner leaving the bag (not moving, but leaving the bag). There should be one sound, not two. If there are, we will raise the hand of the whistle that went off first, so our runners know where the timing is off.
We do the whole team, about 10 reps each in about 15 minutes. Doesn't take a long time to complete and can be put in during any offense day workout. The whistles are also easy to put into other practices as well.

Base running is an essential part of the game and we spend ample time on teaching running, stealing, and reading the ball. We coach ball angle and trajectory. We steal (delayed) on any ball in the dirt, even on the D1 beast catchers. I tell my runners that we are going to get thrown out at bases, but we will take more than we lose. My hitters know, that when they step into the box, their JOB is to get back home again. We also challenge our runners to get back to home plate in the fewest number of batters..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478