Stealing On A Walk- 10u Travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
They can continue in that case.

The look back rule says they can't stop/hesitate, so if they run to first and keep going to second it doesn't matter where the ball is.

What kind of stinks about this is that in 10U it works really well. So many 10U teams (especially rec) can't get the out, even if they know what to do. And a runner that knows how to be in a rundown can usually outlast a 10U team that will eventually not throw the ball or make a bad throw.

It's border-line bush league crap in my opinion. I mean just steal on the first pitch and you honestly have better odds of being safe at second, and at least don't look like a total douche-bag, trophy-hunting daddy baller.
I agree with you. I think the same of rec teams or low lever TB that run the whole delayed steal game all the time. It just a cheap way to win when you could be working on hitting and fielding. I not saying that it's wrong to delay steal at the right time, but as a major offensive strategy it tends to stop working once you play real softball.

Oct 4, 2018
I agree with you. I think the same of rec teams or low lever TB that run the whole delayed steal game all the time. It just a cheap way to win when you could be working on hitting and fielding. I not saying that it's wrong to delay steal at the right time, but as a major offensive strategy it tends to stop working once you play real softball.

Yes, it's hard for me to explain to others but it seems you and I agree. There are ways to win games that just feel better than other ways. Taking advantage of teams that don't know all the rules yet or haven't had time to work on defending every scenario just seems like weak sauce.

Oct 26, 2019
Yes, it's hard for me to explain to others but it seems you and I agree. There are ways to win games that just feel better than other ways. Taking advantage of teams that don't know all the rules yet or haven't had time to work on defending every scenario just seems like weak sauce.
To me it’s not about whether it’s “bush league” or not. When I was coaching high school baseball every year the new 8th graders that made the JV team had to be retaught how to run the bases. They would steal first pitch and get thrown out and then look dumbfounded. I would ask them what they were running in. Catchers arm? Slow delivery? Curve ball? They never had an answer - they just stole because they knew they would be safe.

well bud now you are out by 10 feet…

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

Actually this way of explaining it was pretty good. As you've described here I agree. Higher levels or older age groups should have had a chance to learn how to defend and/or be aware that it can happen. Which also means it happens less and less as others have mentioned.

Nov 18, 2013
With a runner at 3B, taking 2B after a walk is pretty common through 12U, and runs often score when the defense falls into the trap of trying to get the out at 2B. At 14U, good teams will get the out at 2B and home.

Saw it lots even when Em was playing in college. Amazing even at that level they’re able to screw it up and let the run score.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA

I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree, especially concerning rec ball. However, how will unprepared teams learn not to be taken advantage of if no one takes advantage of them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28