Staying down in fall

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
Is anyone seeing an increase in the number of teams who are staying down in the fall this year?

I’m asking because this is the second consecutive 12U USA softball tournament we played in and ran into a team which ended up winning that admittedly was comprised largely of 2007s that chose to stay down in the fall instead of having the girls move up.

I know due to the pandemic there was some talk that this might happen and I think USSSA reversed course but USA softball didn’t.

I guess it’s technically allowable but I must say it’s a little bit frustrating as a coach of a first-year 12U B team with all 2009s. Quite a major physical difference between old 10s/young 11s vs. girls who are 13.

Silver lining is that it’s great experience for our team to play so far up but a little disheartening when a team like that enters and is pretty much unbeatable right from the jump.

I’m not sure what their team would really get out of it other than another trophy for the case.

Apr 20, 2015
Yes this happens around here all the time at low levels. Coaches would rather have a plastic trophy than teach young kids. Especially true in 10u and 12u.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Yes, I’m in VA and it’s definitely happening. Maybe since the shutdown of softball through the spring/summer, they feel the need to get more tournaments in before moving up. No idea. I have a first year 12U team comprised of mostly 2009’s and we see a lot of 2007 teams this fall. Good experience for us.

Dec 11, 2019
My DD is a 2007 and the tournaments we have seen so far have all stated they are 2021 events. She is on a 14U team this year, but she wouldn't be able to stay down. I am in CT.

Dec 2, 2019
We have played some big 8u girls this fall. They are either staying down or getting a good deal on HGH.

Aug 3, 2019
Yes— We have definitely taken a few beatings from some very good 2008 teams. Those are part of the way it is and good learning experiences.

It’s the beat downs from 2007 teams that are purposely lingering in an age division below where they should be in fall that are a little tough. It takes first place off the table for most of the other teams which is kind of a bummer for the girls on a Sunday.

May 6, 2015
when you are beating those teams in 30 months as a first year 14u team, it will all feel better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812