Statement from USSSA on age cutoffs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
It does in this case because if a team planned on playing a lot of USA softball they might construct their roster differently which would then possibly affect if they could play USSSA at the same age level. USSSA probably doesn’t see the USA change as effecting their bottom line hence why change (same with PGF)

I understand there is a reason it matters in this case, I'm saying they don't care how many S's you have in your acronym. They are going to play the better run tournaments regardless. I can see how this may be influenced by the team composition though.

Jun 8, 2016
I understand there is a reason it matters in this case, I'm saying they don't care how many S's you have in your acronym. They are going to play the better run tournaments regardless. I can see how this may be influenced by the team composition though.
At the end of the day USA has endured a slow death, at least around here, for whatever reason hence nobody is scared of them taking away from their tournaments with this new age guidelines thing. Maybe USA thought this was a way to breathe new life into their org but of all the things people complain about in Travel softball, the age guidelines was pretty low on the totem pole..(unlike baseball where it seems to be more of an issue..)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021
I honestly think it is 9th graders that go play varsity softball then go play 14U in the summer that are the biggest issue. I am honestly for one high school division. The minute you walk thru the high school door their should be one division...high school.

Don’t think that matters too much. Half of the high school teams I saw this spring were worse than good 14u teams. Some of the girls that played high school ball on bad teams came back worse than when they left in January. Don’t think playing high school ball should have anything to do with age groups. But I do like the one division idea after 14u. After about 14u kids are mostly grown and you might as well just play against anyone you might face in school ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2022
I think grade makes more since than year.
I wonder if softball has enough teams to go single year like baseball?
It was weird in the spring when my dd team of mainly 7th graders played teams of players that were Freshman and already permit drivers.
Still not as bad as 5th graders vs 7th graders in 12u. At pitching lessons there was a first year 12 u pitcher who was quite good before us but still looked young. I could not help but think the ss for dd team who has the physical ability of a grown women could technically still play 12 u.

Jun 8, 2016
I think grade makes more since than year.
I wonder if softball has enough teams to go single year like baseball?
It was weird in the spring when my dd team of mainly 7th graders played teams of players that were Freshman and already permit drivers.
Still not as bad as 5th graders vs 7th graders in 12u. At pitching lessons there was a first year 12 u pitcher who was quite good before us but still looked young. I could not help but think the ss for dd team who has the physical ability of a grown women could technically still play 12 u.

Age or grade based, at the younger levels there are always going to be kids who are more physically advanced than their peers. It isn’t football, having your team play HS kids when they are in 7th grade isn’t going to do irreparable harm. Grade based makes some sense in the recruiting years but if kids are contacting coaches like they are supposed to, it really isn’t that advantageous.

USA was looking for some way of reviving their dying program and thought that maybe this could do it..I have my doubts.

Sep 9, 2019
The whole point of the change is playing in the same school grade. Makes way too much sense.Forr a fall birthday. Always a year behind almost the entire team. And 1/2 an 18u team already in college. Beyond that now but would have been nice.

Apr 14, 2022
Age or grade based, at the younger levels there are always going to be kids who are more physically advanced than their peers. It isn’t football, having your team play HS kids when they are in 7th grade isn’t going to do irreparable harm. Grade based makes some sense in the recruiting years but if kids are contacting coaches like they are supposed to, it really isn’t that advantageous.

USA was looking for some way of reviving their dying program and thought that maybe this could do it..I have my doubts.

Just wondering why they do not do more single year tournaments like baseball. For talented players the gap is not a big deal, for lesser players it can limit opportunities to develop.
I think grade makes more since for mainly social reasons. Generally start playing by grade. 5th 6th graders and 7-8 graders socialize compete in other activities. Rarely see 5th and 7th teammates or competitors in much of anything else.

Usa change lumps 6,7 then 8-9, 10-11, 12 college. Much rather see 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802