State Championship Game-Rain Delay Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Congratulations! Don’t know about “no way to come back”, but second in state is definitely a proud accomplishment that is often overlooked in the moment. I hope the discussion here was an exercise in knowledge and not an attitude that overtook the team.

I’ve always found that to be the odd thing about second place ... in the vast majority of tournaments you earn it on a loss, whereas third place you earn it on a win. Completely changes the emotional dynamic.

jjr

Jun 13, 2017
By NFHS rules, you should’ve won. When the game is called after five full innings, the score reverts back to the last completed inning, per rule 4-2-2b. Now, this being a state championship tournament, the state high school association may require these games be played to a full seven innings or 6-1/2 if the home team is winning. That’s their call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look up their state rules, it specifies that Championship State Game (or however they word it) has to finish the game at a later date if they go through everything OP listed in the post.

They adopted several rules on top of NFHS rules. It sucks, but it seems like they may have adopted the rule due to past issues because it's VERY specific.

jjr

Jun 13, 2017
Lost. There was no way to come back from that. State runners up is pretty great, but it's still a heartbreaker because of what could have been had it not rained.

Ugh. That blows. Runner up isn't too bad of a deal but I'm sure the girls were heartbroken about how it went down.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Ugh. That blows. Runner up isn't too bad of a deal but I'm sure the girls were heartbroken about how it went down.

Yes, especially the seniors. And our HC is retiring after 20+ years. It would have been SO great for him to retire with a State Championship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802