State Championship Game-Rain Delay Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So, my DD's high school team fought admirably through the Loser's Bracket to make it to the State Championship Game in our division. This is Georgia, so GHSA rules apply. We were up 3-2 in the 6th when it began raining. I mean monsoon-like pouring, but no lightning. The sixth inning ended and our parents and coaches were yelling at the umpires to call the game. They did not. We began the seventh inning in the field and things went downhill fast. The ball was wet and our pitcher wiping it with her towel was useless because the towel was soaking wet. Our second baseman was trying to catch a routine popup and had it in her glove and the ball just popped right out of her glove, again because both the ball and her glove were soaking wet and she had rain in her eyes. So, the other team scored. FINALLY, with runners on first and third and no outs, they call the game. Our coaches and parents were livid that they let it go that long and the other team was able to come back like that.

We waited at least 30 minutes for the rain to die down. Then, an announcement over the loudspeaker saying games will resume in three hours. Ugh. Then, they called all the head coaches up to the broadcaster's booth. Apparently, the coach of the other team was insistent on finishing the game(s) that night despite the radar showing clearly that more rain was coming. We left to go to dinner and about two hours later, got an email that games had been cancelled. Now, we have to drive two hours on Monday to the other school and finish the game on their turf and play the "if" game if we manage to pull out a win. The thing that sticks in my craw is that the umpire's delayed bad decision is likely to doom us. It seems that the fair thing to do would be to pick up play at the end of the last completed inning. But no, we have to play from the point of interruption.

This is mainly a vent, but I also know that we have umpires on here. I would assume that the umpire waited so long thinking that maybe they could complete the game, but it was SO clear that the field was unplayable and the team in the field was at such a disadvantage with the ball slipping and sliding all over the place.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So, my DD's high school team fought admirably through the Loser's Bracket to make it to the State Championship Game in our division. This is Georgia, so GHSA rules apply. We were up 3-2 in the 6th when it began raining. I mean monsoon-like pouring, but no lightning. The sixth inning ended and our parents and coaches were yelling at the umpires to call the game. They did not. We began the seventh inning in the field and things went downhill fast. The ball was wet and our pitcher wiping it with her towel was useless because the towel was soaking wet. Our second baseman was trying to catch a routine popup and had it in her glove and the ball just popped right out of her glove, again because both the ball and her glove were soaking wet and she had rain in her eyes. So, the other team scored. FINALLY, with runners on first and third and no outs, they call the game. Our coaches and parents were livid that they let it go that long and the other team was able to come back like that.

We waited at least 30 minutes for the rain to die down. Then, an announcement over the loudspeaker saying games will resume in three hours. Ugh. Then, they called all the head coaches up to the broadcaster's booth. Apparently, the coach of the other team was insistent on finishing the game(s) that night despite the radar showing clearly that more rain was coming. We left to go to dinner and about two hours later, got an email that games had been cancelled. Now, we have to drive two hours on Monday to the other school and finish the game on their turf and play the "if" game if we manage to pull out a win. The thing that sticks in my craw is that the umpire's delayed bad decision is likely to doom us. It seems that the fair thing to do would be to pick up play at the end of the last completed inning. But no, we have to play from the point of interruption.

This is mainly a vent, but I also know that we have umpires on here. I would assume that the umpire waited so long thinking that maybe they could complete the game, but it was SO clear that the field was unplayable and the team in the field was at such a disadvantage with the ball slipping and sliding all over the place.

Or they were directed to continue by a coordinator who has, or should have, just as much authority as the umpires in this type of situation

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Or they were directed to continue by a coordinator who has, or should have, just as much authority as the umpires in this type of situation

Other fields had already stopped, so that was not the case. We were at a complex with eight fields going simultaneously. In GA, there are 8 divisions (A up to AAAAAAA) and all the championship games were being played at the same time at the same park.

May 29, 2015
In my opinion, rain, particularly light rain, is always a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

I do agree that there are too many umpires who try to “play it out” when you are that late in the game, particularly an important game like that. By doing that, you are giving a team an advantage ... and possibly begging for a player injury.

Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution and will usually (not always) be one of the first to pull my field off. As soon as I cannot provide a dry ball or a pitcher tells me she can’t grasp the ball (and I agree that it is reasonable), we’re done for the time being.

I can see your frustration @CMMom1740. The umpires gave the other team an inning that your team won’t get, and it obviously cost your team. Unfortunately I cannot see any scenario where your high school association “backs the game up” but your school should at least try to press the issue.

Another big concern that I would have is playing the remainder of the game at their field. Your school should definitely be broaching this complaint with the association. There is a reason State Championships are played at a neutral complex. Home field means they don’t have to travel, are familiar with the field, etc.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I've got my husband emailing our school AD right now. Thanks for the suggestion. This is all supposed to happen tomorrow, so time is of the essence.

Jul 29, 2016
The problem is in Georgia, they have precedent for this. They play all divisions of the high school football playoff at the Mercedes Benz stadium (and used to do it at the Georgia Dome). Great experience for the kids - to get to play in an indoor NFL facility - and a neutral site. But three years ago, GA had a freak early snow-storm and they had to cancel half the games. Those games were played the next week at the higher seed's home-field unless they couldn't accommodate a minimum number of spectators (3000?).

So I expect GHSA to stick to their decision on playing at the "higher" seed's field. Also, if they do this for you, there are seven other divisions that will expect the same thing.

Having said all of that, you'd think the GHSA would instruct the two ADs to find a neutral field as close to half-way between the two school as possible. That would be fair, but don't expect it to happen.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Playing in Florida I have been in a few bad weather situations like this. My approach is to request a time out and speak with both umpires. I would express the concerns of my coaches, players and parents and state clearly that we believe the playing conditions are not safe. I would acknowledge that t we understand that since they are the umpires, they are responsible for ensuring the field conditions are safe and it was ultimately their call. So if in their opinion the field conditions do not pose a player safety issue, we would be happy to continue the contest if the alternative was a forfeit. Never, had a game continue past that point. Apparently umpires and associations do not like legal exposure for being grossly negligent.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Playing in Florida I have been in a few bad weather situations like this. My approach is to request a time out and speak with both umpires. I would express the concerns of my coaches, players and parents and state clearly that we believe the playing conditions are not safe. I would acknowledge that t we understand that since they are the umpires, they are responsible for ensuring the field conditions are safe and it was ultimately their call. So if in their opinion the field conditions do not pose a player safety issue, we would be happy to continue the contest if the alternative was a forfeit. Never, had a game continue past that point. Apparently umpires and associations do not like legal exposure for being grossly negligent.

Yes, on the aforementioned popup to the second baseman, the ball easily could have fallen on her face as she was looking up to the sky to track it. It was a blinding downpour and she did not have on any type of glasses or goggles. And someone could have broken a leg sliding in the mud. It was a mess and just escalated so quickly.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yes, on the aforementioned popup to the second baseman, the ball easily could have fallen on her face as she was looking up to the sky to track it. It was a blinding downpour and she did not have on any type of glasses or goggles. And someone could have broken a leg sliding in the mud. It was a mess and just escalated so quickly.
I am sure that there would have been more than a few PI Attorneys willing to take that on contingency.

Aug 25, 2019
You should of had a brawl with the other team's parent's, I hear that's wat they do down there in Georgia Softball! :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812