Starting point for Teaching Hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2008
I've been asked by a 16u coach to help a group of his girls with their hitting. I've used RVP & Englishbey for about 3 years with my DD with excellent results.

Question: As a starting point with each student, and to establish what each individual needs work on, what approach do you take? Would you simply have them hit a dozen or so balls off a tee? Soft toss? I'm a big believer in video analysis and comparison, so I'm assuming video each, and later scrutinize to develop a battle plan. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

May 7, 2008
Sounds like you're right on course. I would get videos of front and target views (using RVP terminology) off the tees (probably don't need more than 4-5 swings of each to get something representative); then the same with relatively easy front toss; and, if you have the luxury, some clips with a good BP pitcher, assuming you can't get game clips. Game clips can be informative, but maybe hard to get at this time of year, I suppose. Getting some representative clips from each position/situation should give you a good baseline to work from, I would think. Having that baseline library of clips will be invaluable - you already know that, I'm sure.

Another thing that might be interesting at this age would be to have a conversation with each - what do they think are their strengths and weaknesses as hitters and with their swings? Etc. Their answers may or may not have much correlation with what you really see in the clips, but it may give you some insight into how they think about what they're doing or not doing, etc., and what language they use to describe that. At 16U, they've had a number of coaches, probably, so their language in itself could be instructive for you.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I'd use a tee and then a machine. The tee shows the fundamentals as they understand them, the machine shows what they do with a moving ball. You can also do the same by tossing with a windmill motion from the front -- more of a short toss than a soft toss. Just be sure to use a screen. I'd video both and compare what they think they should be doing versus what they're actually doing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I line them all up about 15 feet from each other and have them take dry swings, as I demonstrate and coach.

I talk about the bats a little bit, too.

I, too, take video.

Aug 6, 2008
Great Ideas!

Thanks for the replies! Gives me a good idea what to start them with.

Amy - Regarding bats, do you mean discussing end-loaded vs balanced, etc.? As far as ME demonstrating, I try to avoid that. I know my swing IS NOT what I would want to see a student develop :eek:. Very ugly! With my own kids I always tried to find a video clip of an elite player, or use the RVP clips to illustrate a point. Being a player, you've got one up on me so far as having a polished swing :). My DD puts me to shame! :eek:

So, after the video session is complete, where would you start in developing a structured "lesson plan" for each student? Of course, each one will be different with their own strengths and weaknesses. I like to keep a diary of sorts, with notes while watching the RVP video. Do you recommend covering EVERYTHING - from stance through to finish, or take a "just fix what's broke" approach? Does that make sense?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
End loaded vs. balanced, a $25.00 bat vs a $250.00 one, length, weight - and why you can't play with your brother's baseball bat.

Hopefully, all of your girls will own a bat.

Jul 17, 2008
Troy, Illinois
BusterT, if you have Englishbey's stuff, then you should be registered for his website. On the private portion of his website he has a video library. It covers just about everything with visuals. That would range from visual aids to help set tilt to drills such as the WGD. As you know, PCR is the end product and so, all of the drills are essentially breakdown drills to train muscles to perform. I use these drills with my daughter. We just had our banquet and with over 140 at bats this summer she led her team in almost every offensive category. She is playing "up" in 16U ball and so, I believe in that "stuff." Then, the message board has several posters that can get you started. I understand for a lot of people, how Steve breaks down his "stuff" might seem too complicated. Believe me, there are great, knowledgeable people on that website that will jump in and help you. I belong to that website as well and spend considerable time reading the various threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802