Starting over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Just got dd back from h/s ball, she is a freshman. She was a decent pitcher, getting legitimate attention from what we consider to be great schools before the h/s season started. However, there is an upperclassman ahead of her who is a good pitcher too that got most of the school games (dd got 10 games, went 8-2, the 2 losses were to the #1 ranked team in the state, had 2 perfects as well) . Was told by h/s pitching coach that she had so much illegal about her delivery that he had to fix these things - were told these things were fixed several months ago, right after her second perfect game. By the way, she has never had a ip called on her in some 700 games pitched since she was an 8 year old.

We had our second workout since the end of the season - I had been told that she had been working out all season - found out that what this really meant was she was throwing wall ball all season, no glove work really. At a very large recruiting camp right before high school started, she was clocked at 61, threw screw balls, rise balls, and a great changeup. Half an hour ago, it just took 7 pitches to throw a legitimate inside pitch, not a curve, screw, just hit the spot. Didnt even try the riser, just locations, inside and outside, we pitched until she hit me and we had to stop, location was all over the place. Her speed was bouncing around 52-57 a few hit in the 60's, probably an average of 55, before h/s season started, her average was 59-61.

So now we have to start over - my question, to Hal and other pitching instructors, how would you do it.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Just made contact with a pretty elite pitching instructor up in the houston area, no guarantee he will take her on, but he has quite a list of clients. Hopefully...

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Aw boy. Good ole HS ball.

Most of the travel coaches in this area have very little hair left. They all usually pull most of it out once the get their kids back from HS ball.

You are doing the best thing already. Get her evaluated by someone good.

Might take a handful of games but she will 're-aquire' the skills that HS ball let rust up.

Don't sweat it, they WILL come back.

Hal

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
And we have a tournament in a week, and a very important college camp (where big sis is going), in two weeks, and a gold qualifier in three weeks. Oh well. We havent been a 2 and barbecue team in a long time - but there is always a first time.

May 12, 2008
You know you have morons coaching that team. The hs I mean, not the travel team. ;) So when are you going to get the heck out of that school? Check your pm's.

May 12, 2008
Yeah sent you a msg. He comes highly recommended as a finisher. My recollection is Gary Osterman spoke well of him. I've never heard anything negative.

Aug 21, 2008
Donnie

Bobby Smith was a very good pitcher during his career. I hear he teaches what he knows very well. And he's a very nice guy. But be advised...

I get pitchers coming to me all the time who think they have correct mechanics and want to learn a riseball (for example). But it turns out, their mechanics do not allow for a true, genuine riseball to occur. The success they have is because they face inferior competition and the pitcher is simply more gifted. I'm forced to tell them that I cannot help them based on what they are doing now, simiply put: You cannot put a good edge on bad steel.

My point is, don't be discouraged if Bobby asks her to take 3 steps back before being able to go 3 steps forward. I'm NOT saying that will happen here, I have no idea. But I just hope you're prepared in case it does happen.

Bill

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Bill, it seems to me like we have taken 3 steps back already - so I think I am prepared. What I am going to do is to focus on control work in her workouts with me - and ignore what went before with other pitches. Hopefully she will want it bad enough to put the work in.

My hope is that he will take her on - I am sure he has a lot of students.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
Over reaction - perhaps

Maybe I over reacted to dd's pitching problems when I got her back after high school. We are doing basically 2 a days, my 25 or so minute practices twice a day, and yesterday and today, she looked like the same kid from before - speed was back up, control was certainly much better (I didnt get hurt yesterday or today). But I did hear from the Houston pitching instructor, now I have to figure out how to get her there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802