Starting a Club Team......?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2020
N.E.
I have been coaching for some time now. I have kids that play club ball that I currently coach and have listened to the parents about the complaints that they have about club ball vs. rec and travel ball. I know that they are different animals all together, but the entrepreneur in me is thinking of starting a club team(s) and trying to fix the ill's that I hear about with some of the local club teams. When I do the math @$2,800-$3000 per player, it seems that a decent organization could be financially beneficial and I could elevate the level of play while fixing the problems that I see and hear about in other organizations.
Interested in thoughts on the topic....? I also am sick/disgusted of the local daddy ball seems to plague youth sports.
What is a fair rate of pay for a paid coach for a season? Am I missing something? On paper it seems to work as a money maker and the opportunity to make a better game, give better training is out there.
Would love input on the topic before I decide to jump in.
Thanks in advance for any replies

Aug 25, 2019
Maybe I’m not sure what is different between club ball and travel ball?
I had the same question, and also, $2800-$3000 for a brand new team seems a bit steep, I don't think many people would jump on a brand new team for that price.

Dec 18, 2016
So first question I have is what age group are you looking at and what problems are you going to solve and what are your solutions?

Many of the issues that arise out of any organization are parent driven and unless you have a way to get the kids to play without dealing with the parents you're going to have many of the same issues.

I also agree that unless you have some significant background and experience you're bringing to the table, that much for team fees for a start up is pretty steep. We had one here a few years ago try that and even with the name of the head coach and all they could bring it didn't last long.

What are you offering that the other teams with all the experience and credibility aren't?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
but the entrepreneur in me is thinking of starting a club team(s) and trying to fix the ill's that I hear about with some of the local club teams. When I do the math @$2,800-$3000 per player, it seems that a decent organization could be financially beneficial and I could elevate the level of play while fixing the problems that I see and hear about in other organizations.

For this person's first post, I am sniffing a troll, but I will go ahead and play along. What is your motivation? I see the word entrepreneur. If you are in it for the money, people will see right through you, especially at those rates. You might be able to fool some naive parents, but they will figure it out pretty quick no matter how much their skills are elevated. That is what private coaches are for. With weekly Hitting/Pitching lessons $50-$100 a pop do you think parents will want to pay another $250 a month in club dues? Many coaches have tried and failed to make a business out of club ball and few have succeeded. DD played on a National Club team that played all over the country that played in the biggest tourneys that cost a lot. Our club dues were $900 in fall and $900 in the summer. Then add on flights, hotels, gas, food, college camps, lessons, bats, gloves, etc it adds up. If you plan on coaching a 14U local/regional travel team then those dues are nuts! There are a few of the well known National teams that charge what you are asking but they have a lot to offer and can pull in kids from many states. And in some organizations the top Premier Gold National team are subsidized by the other teams(with multiple age divisions), so those families don't pay any dues.

What are the problems you see and hear about in other organizations? The same problems exist on every team, and the root of the problem usually ends up being a parent problem with lofty and unrealistic expectations.

May 11, 2018
I live in the North East and can tell what we expect with fee's like that. 1st and mainly you need to have a proven record of putting together a very competitive team. 3 tournaments in the fall 8-10 tournaments in the spring/summer non parent coaching from a college coach or players from college. 2+ hrs a week of indoor training from january till end of march with solid experienced coaches. When i added it up, i really don't think the head of the org is making money i think it has more to do with love for the sport.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
but the entrepreneur in me is thinking of starting a club team(s) and trying to fix the ill's that I hear about with some of the local club teams.

You and everyone else say these things; at every level; and in every sport.

When I do the math @$2,800-$3000 per player, it seems that a decent organization could be financially beneficial and I could elevate the level of play while fixing the problems that I see and hear about in other organizations. I also am sick/disgusted of the local daddy ball seems to plague youth sports.

Yeah, that is what they all say. The only thing different is that you are open that you want this to be 'financially beneficial' to yourself.

There are easier ways to go than re-invent the wheel. Affiliating with the local elite orgs or national orgs is easier than starting something new. But not so much money in it. But in the end; the girls get the same experience you are talking about.

What is a fair rate of pay for a paid coach for a season?

If you have a kid on the team, $0
If you don't.. depends on what you would be doing. Anything from $1,000 to $10,000 plus expenses or more or less.

Am I missing something? On paper it seems to work as a money maker and the opportunity to make a better game, give better training is out there.Would love input on the topic before I decide to jump in.

Yes, lots of people are WAY ahead of you. I don't know exactly where you are from, but let us know and I will let you know who is already saying they are doing this. And they already have a reputation (deserved or not deserved), the talent and the contacts people are looking for.

Unless you have a history of coaching and/or playing in college or pro softball and baseball or have 20+ years in winning travel and successful college recruiting you will be competing with people who do.

Convincing people you have what others already say they do and more will be the challenge. Believe me - the college goal even in 10U is looked at by people looking to spend their money (yes it is stupid, but yes people do it ALL the time).

Everyone always says they have something different - but they normally don't.

And it depends on what $3k covers; how many tournaments, where they are, training facilities, etc, etc.... Local team's budgets are WAY less than that. $3k puts you in the 'elite, travel' cost level, so how are you going to bring that?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I live in the North East and can tell what we expect with fee's like that. 1st and mainly you need to have a proven record of putting together a very competitive team. 3 tournaments in the fall 8-10 tournaments in the spring/summer non parent coaching from a college coach or players from college. 2+ hrs a week of indoor training from january till end of march with solid experienced coaches. When i added it up, i really don't think the head of the org is making money i think it has more to do with love for the sport.
For what you just mentioned we paid around 5K for the four years DD played 18U. That did not include travel but did add one weeknight of hitting with a paid hitting coach. The first ORG probably made some money because they had so many teams. The second only had the one 18U team and I don't think he made any money but he got everyone of his players a college to play for. He has since taken out a BB franchise and is doing rather well.

So for the OP, you have this idea that thousand before you have had. Most of those teams are in the ash heap of history.

Jul 4, 2020
N.E.
I am located in NJ. There are a whole lot of the travel / club teams. The tuition is in the 2500-3k neighborhood all around us. What I see and speak to others experiencing the same thing, is that although the teams practice, they do not really train. The kids get reps in, but they don't get dedicated individual skills improvement training. For the cost, it seems disconcerting to me. There is outdoor in spring, summer and fall and indoor in the winter, yet there is parent coaching. I am not seeing the growth that I would expect.
I did not play collegiate ball, however, I am an entrepreneur and can see pitfalls and work the logistics to a better conclusion and better end product.
I would think that any club that has 10U-12U-14U-16U and showcase teams would have a staff that provides training for batting, catching and a performance improvement plan, skill mastery by age group, pitching is usually done on their own, but staff that can understand what they're watching and offer assistance if needed. What I see in the area remains unimpressive to me.

I am not a troll, thank you Orange Socks, I am someone who is looking for advice from the "experts" if that's what is here. If I am in the wrong place, please say so......... no where in my post did I say that I am the best coach in the world and that I know it all. I can do some quick math tho......13 kid roster @3k with an 6-8 team program = @$300,000k annually....... I think there is a lot of money there to do a lot of good in the way of dedicated training, individualized training etc

There are a lot of teams around here so I ll give a list.....lets see who knows what and what the opinion is..........
NJ Pride
NJ Fight
Heist
OC Bombers
NY BlackHawks
Finches Aces
Lady Belles
Lady Ravens
Tsunami
Vipers Fastpitch
NJ Fire
Rangers
to name a few.....................this is not a complete list but I am sure you get the idea.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The kids get reps in, but they don't get dedicated individual skills improvement training.

For the cost, it seems disconcerting to me. There is outdoor in spring, summer and fall and indoor in the winter, yet there is parent coaching. I am not seeing the growth that I would expect.
I did not play collegiate ball, however, I am an entrepreneur and can see pitfalls and work the logistics to a better conclusion and better end product.
I would think that any club that has 10U-12U-14U-16U and showcase teams would have a staff that provides training for batting, catching and a performance improvement plan, skill mastery by age group, pitching is usually done on their own, but staff that can understand what they're watching and offer assistance if needed. What I see in the area remains unimpressive to me.

I am not a troll, thank you Orange Socks, I am someone who is looking for advice from the "experts" if that's what is here. If I am in the wrong place, please say so......... no where in my post did I say that I am the best coach in the world and that I know it all. I can do some quick math tho......13 kid roster @3k with an 6-8 team program = @$300,000k annually....... I think there is a lot of money there to do a lot of good in the way of dedicated training, individualized training etc

There are a lot of teams around here so I ll give a list.....lets see who knows what and what the opinion is..........
NJ Pride
NJ Fight
Heist
OC Bombers
NY BlackHawks
Finches Aces
Lady Belles
Lady Ravens
Tsunami
Vipers Fastpitch
NJ Fire
Rangers
to name a few.....................this is not a complete list but I am sure you get the idea.
Question please.
Are you saying practices offer reps however no dicipline or structure?
Or
The players on those level of teams dont train on their own?
Or
Are you saying for the cost/price people are paying should include private instruction?

I get the gist of your original post.
You can see starting another team/organization.
Thats how all the teams on your list got started too!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28