Stance setup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2019
I will get my 7YO into a good stance that works well for her, then we go a watch the 14u girls play and she tries to imitate whatever they do. It's a weekly battle.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
My daughter uses it, and its not exactly lending itself to the goals trying to achieve. At least not at her age as of yet.

I know it works for some but I think many young players just think it's a copycat cool thing. This is crazy but I just eliminated it from a college sophomore's approach. She said she would give starting square a try and focus on coiling intro the back leg. She was hitting bombs. I stepped one off...one 280 feet...in the air (no exaggeration). She said she has never hit balls as far. Made the same change with a very strong 15U player. I am not saying the open stance set up is wrong. I AM saying it can unnecessarily get you in trouble.

Oct 2, 2017
I know it works for some but I think many young players just think it's a copycat cool thing. This is crazy but I just eliminated it from a college sophomore's approach. She said she would give starting square a try and focus on coiling intro the back leg. She was hitting bombs. I stepped one off...one 280 feet...in the air (no exaggeration). She said she has never hit balls as far. Made the same change with a very strong 15U player. I am not saying the open stance set up is wrong. I AM saying it can unnecessarily get you in trouble.

When she starts back up, I plan on having her try starting square. I chose not to touch anything because the season was almost over. Open is certainly not for everyone.

Feb 14, 2019
When she starts back up, I plan on having her try starting square. I chose not to touch anything because the season was almost over. Open is certainly not for everyone.
She's a tee warrior for sure...her swing is looking pretty good all in all, imo. Personally, I think her biggest hold up is not having enough in-game at bats against decent quality pitching. It makes me think of a quote from Mike Tyson: "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Much of that swing planning/practicing goes out the window when hit with the stress/excitement/fear/joy of game situations.

She's looks really comfortable in the practice/workout setting, but you can see her mechanics change in game situations (like about a million other kids, mine included). There's just no substitute for quality game reps against decent pitching. Once she gets comfortable in games, she'll be a force to reckon with!

Oct 2, 2017
She's a tee warrior for sure...her swing is looking pretty good all in all, imo. Personally, I think her biggest hold up is not having enough in-game at bats against decent quality pitching. It makes me think of a quote from Mike Tyson: "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Much of that swing planning/practicing goes out the window when hit with the stress/excitement/fear/joy of game situations.

She's looks really comfortable in the practice/workout setting, but you can see her mechanics change in game situations (like about a million other kids, mine included). There's just no substitute for quality game reps against decent pitching. Once she gets comfortable in games, she'll be a force to reckon with!
100 agree

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
For me set up matters a lot. Angles of the pelvis. shoulders, feet, spine, shins all can make a swing better or worse. Grips can vary. All depends on how the hands react to the grip used. I personally like the tucking of the pelvis at ‘load’.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802