SS or 2nd cover on the hit straight up the middle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
the hit I'm referring to went right over second base and both players went for it and couldn't get to it. They then were both near the grass with no one covering either the base or the cut.

I don't think it particularly matters who's covering in this situation based on the specific positions. Functionally there's no difference. They just need to communicate, or at the very least have the awareness to understand one should peel off and return to the base. If the ball landed just beyond second base, you don't really need a cut anyway.

Rereading the post, it seems like maybe the ball didn't even go far enough for the CF to get it. In that case, again, they need to know each other and communicate. The girl who's going to get to the ball first should just go get it. I don't know that's something you should even have to practice. The slower player should just know the other girl will get there first and then it's her job to cover. I wouldn't even know how to practice this. It's one of the things I don't recall ever practicing, and I also don't recall ever having any confusion during any games I ever played.

Jun 11, 2013
Players need to go for the balls they can get. I'll take a rare time no one is covering versus having a playable ball not get played. If you have good players someone should pick up the slack and cover.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom