Squeezing the Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
There are some situations where you could clam shell the ball, but you would have to be a very advanced player to be able to catch the ball in specific parts of the glove, pocket vs palm.
🤷🏽‍♂️ Goal for balls where you need to transfer to throwing hand should be to not catch it in the web. By HS age kids should be able to position themselves to accomplish that. Have your MI play some quick hands when they are playing catch..they will figure it out

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
🤷🏽‍♂️ Goal for balls where you need to transfer to throwing hand should be to not catch it in the web. By HS age kids should be able to position themselves to accomplish that. Have your MI play some quick hands when they are playing catch..they will figure it out
We must have different definitions of the parts of the glove, here is how I think of it.

The way I define it you should never catch a ball in the web, catching it in the pocket is the goal, the palm if you're clam shelling it.

Jun 8, 2016
We must have different definitions of the parts of the glove, here is how I think of it.

The way I define it you should never catch a ball in the web, catching it in the pocket is the goal, the palm if you're clam shelling it.
Yeah I said web is a no-no (re-read what I said..) and I wasn't distinguishing between palm and pocket. Catch it off index finger is what is typically said when needed to transfer to throw.

As an aside, I grew up in MA too but you are the first person I ever heard use the phrase "clam-shelling"...maybe it is a Cape thing..lol.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Yeah I said web is a no-no (re-read what I said..) and I wasn't distinguishing between palm and pocket. Catch it off index finger is what is typically said when needed to transfer to throw.

As an aside, I grew up in MA too but you are the first person I ever heard use the phrase "clam-shelling"...maybe it is a Cape thing..lol.
I had never heard of 'deflecting' until you mentioned it so I searched it. It seems common in baseball, I have heard of clam shelling the ball on the palm for a quick throw but when you deflect the ball it's supposed to make contact on the index finger pad and 'deflect' up into the throwing hand. I got out my collection of 12" gloves and with a 12" softball contact on the pad is also contact in the pocket. So I'm not sure if deflecting would work in softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog