squeeze ur knees and spin ur hips ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 25, 2009
My daughter told me that her pitching coach told her the other day to make sure she squeezes her knees and spins her hips on the pitch. She is now not sure what he meant. I will ask him at her next lesson but was wondering if anyone new what he meant by that in the mean time. Thanks

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
squeeze knees

Never heard anything about knees squeezing.

Spinning hips..may mean rotating ...but when does this coach want her rotating/spinning hips....
After release? Hips closed at release?

...you should definitely ask about what was meant.

MY DD is 13 and if her hips are closed at release her pitches are definitely going behind the batter .... once the hips start being HIPS they will get in the way.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A pitcher's speed comes from her legs and from her arm, not from the hips. If she tries to "spin the hips", she won't have any control.

She has to get open--i.e., her lower torso is facing 3B. The arm goes by the open hips, and then the hips close (i.e., lower torso facing catcher). For some pitchers, the hips close a great deal, while for others they barely close.

As to "squeeze the knees"--I've never heard that one. This might go into the "weirdest stuff I've heard about pitching" file.

You might consider asking why this guy thinks he can teach pitching. Some pitching coaches are great, and then there are some that are ex-baseball pitchers trying to make a quick buck.

Ray

May 5, 2008
I've heard of pinch the knees - basically meaning to bring that back leg forward to the front one - maybe squeeze the knees is that same thing?

Not sure about the spin your hips part though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802