Squash the bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013

Alot of these swings are confounding to me. The way the rear leg works. Any thoughts?

The rear leg sets up the angle of the pelvis for the front leg to do the work.... pushing against the end of the pelvis, offset, creating the turn via torque. Notice how the bat doesn't move forward with any power until the front leg is pushing rearward ...and the rear leg comes off the ground, retracting into the hip socket.

Feb 25, 2020
The rear leg sets up the angle of the pelvis for the front leg to do the work.... pushing against the end of the pelvis, offset, creating the turn via torque. Notice how the bat doesn't move forward with any power until the front leg is pushing rearward ...and the rear leg comes off the ground, retracting into the hip socket.

Is there a swing where the rear foot comes off the ground in there? I watched most and didnt see one. I just think many of these swings go counter to what has been touted as gospel by some previously in this thread.

And Bobby,

If the front leg is pushing so hard why does Piazzas front leg get sucked back underneath him here. Shouldn't it push out it front of him?
FUYc2gj.gif

Jul 29, 2013
Is there a swing where the rear foot comes off the ground in there? I watched most and didnt see one. I just think many of these swings go counter to what has been touted as gospel by some previously in this thread.

And Bobby,

If the front leg is pushing so hard why does Piazzas front leg get sucked back underneath him here. Shouldn't it push out it front of him?
View attachment 20424
Just like a runner pushing himself forward. When the leg gets to full extension, the body is propelled forward and the leg gets dragged behind.
It's the opposite direction in the swing, the body is propelled rearward by the extension of the front leg. When that leg reaches extension, the body continues rearward and the leg gets dragged rearward by the momentum he created. But that happens after contact and in this instance, as he completes rotation.
See Piazza's rear leg leave the ground just prior to the forward acceleration of the barrel. It's work is finished and it's along for the ride. Notice the position of his hips and shoulders at contact. It's hard to see because we can't stop the video, but it looks like they are aligned to each other. He got separation (took out the slack), drove his front hip rearward creating angular acceleration (rotation/torque) and then re-aligned hips and shoulders.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't know about that. Just to pick one, this guy doesn't seem to be following your advice. He was a decent hitter in his day.

I see exactly what Eric was talking about and what I coach. There was a phrase called, "the move" where the point of focus was to see that rotation onto the side of the front foot/toe and then to the tip. That is present in this swing. If this thread is about squishing a bug, that is not happening in this swing at all.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

And Bobby,

View attachment 20424
Is this swing being represented as a typical swing for this hitter? I have found over time that there are great swing and horrible swings by some of the greatest hitters of all time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee