Squash the bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Is there a swing where the rear foot comes off the ground in there? I watched most and didnt see one. I just think many of these swings go counter to what has been touted as gospel by some previously in this thread.

And Bobby,

If the front leg is pushing so hard why does Piazzas front leg get sucked back underneath him here. Shouldn't it push out it front of him?
View attachment 20424

The leg retraction seems to be an after effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Work = wins = Balance.
If you need to turn this valve, would you squish the bug?

View attachment 20383
Throw bats. When throwing a bat/ frisbee, nobody would squish the bug. The swing is more natural than one might think.

Without a doubt the best advice here. Throwing a frisbee. I’ve used it on a bunch of students and it was like a miracle.
Obviously I had them throw with the opposite arm but still it worked like a charm. Thank you thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2020
Is this swing being represented as a typical swing for this hitter? I have found over time that there are great swing and horrible swings by some of the greatest hitters of all time.

That is a good question. I think you mean Piazza in that gif. Im not sure if it is or not haha.

I like that gif in particular because his feet slip and he doesnt seem to stop his swing at all. (He swings ALLLL the way through haha.) I think it lets you see things happening that other swings dont, kind of like the Bonds offspeed one.

I found a youtube of that swing. Thanks to The Crime Dog in the on deck circle haha.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is this swing being represented as a typical swing for this hitter? I have found over time that there are great swing and horrible swings by some of the greatest hitters of all time.
Cannonball, I think if one understands cause/effect of the movement pattern this is a none question. On the other hand if one is trying to see all movements as the same but utilizing a different style the waters will become muddied.

Feb 14, 2010
Incorrect.
Brooke, aborted this swing while at College.. If I am not mistaken she struggled making contact due to being under the ball.
Brooke was killing the ball during fall ball and practice during her freshman year with the swing I taught her.

Unfortunately during workouts while lifting she blew her knee out.

She had to medically redshirt her freshman year. Meanwhile a new “hitting coach” was hired and completely changed her swing the next year and she was never the same. Medical injuries forced her to retire after 2yrs.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
But would this cause you to “cast” your hands? Are you throwing the bat middle, away or pull side?
We are throwing bats/frisbees/table legs intentionally to all fields mimicking pitch locations. This creates the feeling of the energy being released toward the balls trajectory. IOW, the batter does not cut across the ball creating side spin but drives the ball in the intended direction. I guess you could say the hand get casted at the appropriate time. Thrown off the tilt a whirl.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Incorrect.

Brooke was killing the ball during fall ball and practice during her freshman year with the swing I taught her.

Unfortunately during workouts while lifting she blew her knee out.

She had to medically redshirt her freshman year. Meanwhile a new “hitting coach” was hired and completely changed her swing the next year and she was never the same. Medical injuries forced her to retire after 2yrs.
crankermo, was that Rich's HLP swing as well ?

May 25, 2023
Try giving the visual of "pushing the back knee to the front knee" to your hitter. I have had success breaking the bug habit by using that visual

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog