Sprinitng to Cover Bases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
12U team...and I can't seem top get them to sprint to cover bases (bunts, regular groundballs, etc). Anybody got any good advice or drills. They are not lazy ...just slow to get there!!

Nov 29, 2009
Stand behind them and grab a hand full of jersey. Have another coach put the bunt down on the play. Move and drag the player with you to the base she needs to be covering. After being drug around like a rag doll a few times they will figure out just how hard you want them to move to cover a base. There are always a a bunch of laughs and giggles the first few times. After that they all figure out what needs to be. done.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Stand behind them and grab a hand full of jersey. Have another coach put the bunt down on the play. Move and drag the player with you to the base she needs to be covering. After being drug around like a rag doll a few times they will figure out just how hard you want them to move to cover a base. There are always a a bunch of laughs and giggles the first few times. After that they all figure out what needs to be. done.

I understand what you are trying to get across, but I would not recommend that you grab any jerseys or put a hand on any of your players they way that is described. It is just too easy to have misunderstandings when you as a male coach are dragging young girls around by their clothes.

Try putting a stopwatch to the girls and emphasize they need to be faster. Do the drills without a ball in play so they only concentrate on getting to the base as quickly as possible. Emphasize that the girls who are the quickest and most reliable are the ones earning positions in the infield, whereas the others will be the ones backing up the throws from the outfield.

The other thing to consider is that you don't have the right players in the right positions in the infield!

Nov 29, 2009
Never grab a kid by the jersey. I hope that was a joke.

I've used this technique for years. I'm not dragging them around the field. The first couple of time they get pulled off of their feet because they are late or slow getting moving. Then they get how hard they need to break to their assignment.

I do this in front of the whole team AND the parents all the time. There is ABSOLUTELY no mistaking what I'm trying to accomplish with the demonstration. The first time they see it done there is always a bunch of laughter by the other kids seeing their team mate pulled like a puppet.

There is no one who is more cognizant of dealing with young female players than I am.

Nov 29, 2009
Try putting a stopwatch to the girls and emphasize they need to be faster. Do the drills without a ball in play so they only concentrate on getting to the base as quickly as possible.

All you're doing is telling them to "Run faster, run faster." without showing them how to do it. Waste of time if you're trying to get them to actually know how fast they need to be moving. Anything else and they are guessing.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
We include covering bases in one of our infield drills in the following way. Start with a regular infield setup. Hit a ground ball to one of the players and have her throw the ball to get the out at first. Pretty standard. However after the ball gets to first, the fielder then has to sprint to "cover" her base. First throws the ball home and the catcher then throws the ball to the covered base... then we throw around the horn until the ball is back at the catcher.

Hard to describe in words, but here are some examples for the different infield positions:

Ground ball (or bunt) hit to 3rd. 3rd fields the ball and throws to 1st then she sprints to cover 3rd base. 1st throws the ball to the catcher (who simulates a tag) who then throws the ball to 3rd base (who had to sprint to cover 3rd or she wouldn't be there in time to make the play). She simulates a tag then throws to 2nd (force out or tag). 2nd then throws to 1st (double-play) and then back to catcher (tag). During the drill everyone is covering their base and making appropriate glove-side throws.

Ground ball hit to 2nd. 2nd fields the ball and throws to 1st then sprints to cover 2nd base. 1st throws to catcher (tag) who then throws the ball to 3rd who then throws to 2nd base (2nd base player had to sprint to cover 2nd) who turns a double-play with 1st base. 1st returns ball to catcher (tag).

Ground ball hit to SS. SS fields the ball and throws to 1st then sprints to cover 2nd base. 1st throws to catcher (tag) who then throws down to SS at 2nd base (SS had to sprint to cover 2nd) who either tags (steal practice) or turns a double-play with 1st base. 1st returns ball to catcher (tag). They then go around the horn 4-3-2-1..

Ground ball to 1st. 1st fields ball, steps on 1st, throws to 3rd (tag). 3rd to 2nd who turns two back to 1st (who sprinted to cover) who then returns to catcher (tag). They then go around the horn 4-3-2-1.

Bunt to 1st. 1st fields bunt, throws to 1st base for out (2nd base player covers). She then throws to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st ( who sprinted to cover) for double play. 1st to catcher (tag). They then go around the horn 4-3-2-1.

----
Couple of points. Each throw is made with the intent of getting an out. No lazy throws. The drill forces everyone to be moving. I don't know about the younger levels, but at the older levels, with the velocity of the throws, the girls have to sprint very fast to cover the bases. They learn to throw to the target... not the player. They learn to catch the ball on the move, make their play and move on to the next play. Lastly with each batted ball, the entire infield gets work (SS/2nd if not involved in the play sprint to backup throws).

I would recommend walking through where all the throws go the first few times, but after a few tries the girls get it and actually enjoy the drill.

Last edited:
May 5, 2008
If they arenʻt getting to the bases at their top speed, they are being lazy.

If they are, then you obviously need to work on increasing their speed and/or their reaction time. Like maybe they arenʻt starting to head toward the base to cover until 2 seconds after they should have.

Only you can tell where the deficiency is. ;)

Also - are they back peddling or are the actually turning and running to the base. Do you let them "cheat" during infield practice (allow them to just stand by the base instead of actually having to hustle there from the position they will actuall be playing in the game?).

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When emphasizing this be careful that the Players do not become too concerned about where they need to get to instead of playing the ball 1st. 1st base is an easy example. I have seen a lot of 1st basemen at this age whose 1st step is towards the base then need to start moving right if the ball is hit to that side of them. RF 1st step is towards backing up 1st, then recovers to go after the ball. Hopefully I am explaining this right.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
When emphasizing this be careful that the Players do not become too concerned about where they need to get to instead of playing the ball 1st. 1st base is an easy example. I have seen a lot of 1st basemen at this age whose 1st step is towards the base then need to start moving right if the ball is hit to that side of them. RF 1st step is towards backing up 1st, then recovers to go after the ball. Hopefully I am explaining this right.

I think this goes to the root of the problem... not sure about where to be and when. This is common for young girls, especially if they are at a position they're not used to (with young girls this could be any position). In quincy's example, the best way to teach them is to hit the ball between the 1st and 2nd base positions to teach 1st when to go after the ball (and 2nd cover 1st) or when to get back to the base and let 2nd field the ball. If you hit the ball at different speeds, some will get through and keep the RFer from leaving her position to back up 1st also.

Just takes alot of "situations" practice to get the girls more confident about where they are supposed to be, when. THEN they will speed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478