Spring break HS Tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2019
HS coach is holding a meeting for planning a FL tournament during spring break. Has anyone got advice or recommendations for a good tournament?

May 27, 2013
HS coach is holding a meeting for planning a FL tournament during spring break. Has anyone got advice or recommendations for a good tournament?
We used to go to ESPN WWOS in Orlando. It was their favorite trip. The only thing was the competition was either extremely weak or very good (more the former for us). There just didn‘t seem to be a happy medium for our type of team (small, private school but competitive). I think if you are a larger, competitive school there will be more competition at your level. Since we were a small school, it seemed we faced a few JV teams and non-competitive small schools.

Our first game there we got to face Ryleigh White - although she made us look pretty silly, our defense did a decent job hanging with her HS team which is a perennial powerhouse in NJ. We lost 9-0 but we settled down after the first couple of innings. We were well aware of who she was. That was the only game we lost.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2015
Competition will likely be on the weaker side during the spring in FL. Most teams go dark during HS ball. I have never been a fan of anything at WWOS. The lightning detector will go off during the spring. You will walk miles emptying the park. The facility is nice though and you have Disney.

PGF will put on the most competitive. UTRIP usually has a good showing.

ISA has a good following in the CFL area and NSA in Clearwater area. The competition will typically be lower in these orgs.

While I’m not a fan of Newberry and Viera complexes for varying reasons, they are turf and will get you back to playing the quickest when the afternoon thunderstorms roll in. Panama City Beach is my favorite turf complex and hosts several events.

May 27, 2013
I believe the OP is talking about HS spring break tourneys, not travel ball.

Luckily, we never had rain the two times we were in FL for our HS spring training trips.

Apr 12, 2019
I believe the OP is talking about HS spring break tourneys, not travel ball.

Luckily, we never had rain the two times we were in FL for our HS spring training trips.

Yea this will be a KSA event in Orlando near Universal Park. The team will have 2 seniors then freshman and sophomores. Varsity will be Utrip/NSA level travel players with 2 experienced freshman pitchers. I'm throwing out any expectations as the dynamics of the event will probably offer more team building/bonding than competition.

On the flip side, this HS team's skill level will be light years higher than DD's travel team so hopefully she will enjoy that as well.

Jun 20, 2015
in my area, HS skill level versus travel ball is like driving a Model T versus Porsche 911 Turbo.

Good luck finding a tourney to play in . Our HS season is already in progress here in Cincinnati area at spring break time.

Apr 12, 2019
Travel will trump HS ball in most parts of the universe. It may be rare that a HS team has a roster where at least a dozen have been playing travel ball since 10U and are at least B level talent. This could be a fun 4 yrs of HS ball.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Travel will trump HS ball in most parts of the universe. It may be rare that a HS team has a roster where at least a dozen have been playing travel ball since 10U and are at least B level talent. This could be a fun 4 yrs of HS ball.

I keep telling DD how lucky she is that her situation will be like this. She’s only in 8th grade now. But last year and this year will be spent playing with an entire squad of B-level TB players.

Then as a Freshman she’ll play HS where the JV and V are the same. I’d argue on the HS squads there a couple A players as well. It’s fun ball to watch.

Apr 20, 2015
We are very blessed at our HS kids get cut that have signed with colleges because there are kids that have signed with bigger and better colleges. We cut kids every year as freshman that play travel ball and would make varsity at most other schools. kids who play B level travel rarely make varsity until their Jr year. It just depends on where you are.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2019
We are very blessed at our HS kids get cut that have signed with colleges because there are kids that have signed with bigger and better colleges. We cut kids every year as freshman that play travel ball and would make varsity at most other schools. kids who play B level travel rarely make varsity until their Jr year. It just depends on where you are.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How many moons does your planet have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22