Sprained left wrist - treatment?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2016
13 yo daughter sprained her wrist this weekend and today it started hurting during batting drills.

Any advice on wrapping it? Good/bad idea? If good, how should it be wrapped?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2016
Why is she batting with a sprained wrist?

"slightly sprained"

She hurt it falling off an inflatable slip & slide at a party last Sunday. That was the last time she mentioned it.

Went to a 30 min batting lesson and then practiced with team in batting cages, where she said it started to hurt. I didn't watch her in the batting cage so after practice I asked her how she hit and she informed me about the wrist. I asked her if it was hurting during the lesson and she said no, that it started halfway through her cage session.

So, anyway, anyone have any good wrist wrapping ideas for a "slightly sprained" wrist?

Thanks.

May 16, 2016
Any advice on wrapping it? Good/bad idea? If good, how should it be wrapped?

Wrapping to accomplish what? To immobilize her wrist so it can heal? Or wrapping to allow her to play this weekend?

"Slightly Sprained"? So, she slightly stretched or tore a wrist ligament?

Oct 4, 2016
Wrapping to accomplish what? To immobilize her wrist so it can heal? Or wrapping to allow her to play this weekend?

"Slightly Sprained"? So, she slightly stretched or tore a wrist ligament?

What’s your point?

Do you know how to wrap a wrist?

It caused some pain after batting rapid fire for 45 minutes.

Aug 20, 2017
Don’t allow your DD to take rapid fire BP! It serves no purpose and causes tempo issues with the stride and messes up swing sequence. Coach needs to allow batter to swing and wait until batter is ready for next pitch

Sprained wrists are tricky. Needs rest. I’d say lay off swinging for at least 3-5 days and don’t swing again until there is zero pain

Oct 4, 2016
Don’t allow your DD to take rapid fire BP! It serves no purpose and causes tempo issues with the stride and messes up swing sequence. Coach needs to allow batter to swing and wait until batter is ready for next pitch

Sprained wrists are tricky. Needs rest. I’d say lay off swinging for at least 3-5 days and don’t swing again until there is zero pain

Thanks.

I guess using rapid fire was the wrong phrase.

I meant continually, like a normal batting practice.

I’ll do what I can to limit her swings and monitor if there’s any more pain. My intent was to do all of that but with her wrist taped to keep it from getting worse.

Of course i would keep her out if I felt like there was a significant injury or the possibility of one occurring, but I don’t feel that way. I just want to keep her from it getting worse.

So if anyone knows a good way to wrap a wrist that would be great. Thanks!

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
She is experiencing pain while batting. There's your sign. She should not be swinging a bat at all. A PT should be wrapping (or bracing or casting) your kid. A PT can tell you when she can swing again.

Kids under 16-18 can injure their growth plates which, if not healed properly, can keep your kid from ever playing again, plus a lifetime of pain.

These injuries seem harmless at the time, but many are very serious.

gymnast-wrist-compression-growth-plate-injury.png

I'm really glad you asked this question, though, since most people going through the process with their first child don't realize how many kids get permanently sidetracked from these seemingly innocuous injuries. And growth plates are in the wrist, shoulder, ankle, elbow, back, and all over the place

Last edited:

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Not a doctor, but I have recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...

If she is experiencing wrist pain when hitting, she should be evaluated by a doctor or PA (or PT). Wrapping is pretty straight forward, and there are many youtube videos showing how to do it (simple "figure 8" pattern around wrist and across palm) , but really, she should be checked out first.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Wrapping it so that she can keep swinging isn't going to help anything and may hurt her even more.

I did it years ago and tried to keep playing...had to shut it down for a few weeks because it only gets worse.
Needs rest, and since she is young, may want to get it looked at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802