Sport Conditioning...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
My son and dd have started sport conditioning at a local gymnastics facility, and it has generated a lot of excitement. The sport conditioning in these primary stages are focusing on vertical jump, balance beam, climbing the robe, crossing the foam pit, trampoline, jump robing, cricket pushups, rock climbing, etc.

They were sore for a couple of days, but cannot wait until their session tomorrow. Body resistance and controlling body strength seems like a logical piece in the fitness puzzle.

Ang

KAT

May 13, 2008
conditioning

My DD goes to a focus on the female athlete conditioning camp. Our track coach is a former D1 athlete and she has spent alot of time putting together a workout for female athletes. She encorporated plyometrics, weights, speed ladders etc its very very good. My DD has done this since 7th grade and she loves it. She is traveling so much this year and is missing it alot. She cant wait to be home a week to go to conditioning. It has helped her gain alot of muscle as she is not a large girl but very powerful.

May 7, 2008
What can you do for the girls who are bigger and out of shape. They are still good players and I love to have them because they know the game and can play but physically when we condition are behind. What can i do to help them? They are beginning to get discouraged and loose confidence. So what can i do?

May 9, 2008
Three Pronged Approach

Hi,

You should consider a three pronged approach. A low glycemic (low sugar) nutrition plan, proper supplementation (vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidents, extra calcium), and a regular exercise plan (5 days per week). You can google these topics for extra info.

Losing the extra weight, will happen faster following these steps. They will gain body confidence and be able to be better athletes. Big girls are pretty common in softball. It's great to see them perform when they are properly conditioned.

Good Luck,

Pops,

Aug 2, 2008
Crossfit

CrossFit Kids
Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness
This website is free and the equipment cost is minimal. Workouts vary from 2 minutes on up and they change everyday, these are core exercises that build power, speed, agility, balance, and coordination. These are not isolation workouts, they are all geared toward functional movement. With kids workouts have to be somewhat fun and engaging, and most importantly it has to be something that you and your kids believe in. No matter what program you end up choosing this, in my opinion at least deserves a look.

Mike

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Of course, the problem is that to get fit and lose weight, you have to do it every day over a period of several months. You aren't going to do it overnight.

My youngest DD had a weight problem in college basketball. Her coach told her if she didn't lose some weight and get quicker, she wouldn't start.

So, she came up with a solution (on her own): She started training for a half-marathon--a 14 mile run. She picked out one that was ran in late August. She planned for the weekend event, made reservations in a nice hotel, everything. Then, she started training for it. There are a lot of different sites that give you a training schedule for a 1/2 marathon.

She was motivated first to go and spend the weekend in a big city. So, she stuck with it. Her and a friend did the training schedule all summer. Then, she ran the marathon in August, partied in the big city, had a great time, lost a bunch of weight, and was in the best shape of her life.

May 7, 2008
Hey all, I was looking into taking a weight loss and some other supplements. The problem is that i do not know what to take or a lot about them, does anyone have any experience or any idea what would be good or what to stay away from?

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sluggers - great story. Thanks for sharing.

lbolton - there is nothing magic in terms of supplements. They might help for like 3% of it. If your nutrition and exercise isn't right, if you are not sleeping enough, then you are wasting your time.

Stay away from the so-called fat-burners. Not very effective and you become dependant.

However, green tea has actually been shown to help a little (nothing magic) in mobilizing more fat. So, feel free to drink green tea. It's also full of good stuff for your body too.

Try fish oils too. They will help your body function better, give you more energy and indirectly help a little.

If your nutrition is deficient, a multi-vitamin might be good.

Leave the rest.

Marc

Oct 7, 2008
I am relatively new to coaching and I am starting up a development program for 16U girls, through the winter we are going to be getting together to do some camps but I would really like for them to have a training program to follow at home. Can anyone help me out with this??
Any other advice as to what I should cover during my kick-off camp would be great as well!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28