Split Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Becoming more prevalent on the college level. Explain the benefits of the split grip. More barrel control seems obvious. What type of flaw would this address? What arm some of the negatives of using the split grip? Slappers have used it for years but starting to see righties using it too. Just curious what y’all’s thoughts on it

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Most people are stupid. Here's why you don't do it.

1. Decreased leverage
2. Shortens the bat (worse plate coverage, different or no sweet spot)
3. Reduces bat speed

No high level MLB hitter hits like this (after toe touch).

Edit: Driveline did a study on this:
study
Bat Speed:
Normal – 72.3 mph
Pinky-off – 72.0 mph
Choked-up – 70.5 mph
Split grip – 70.4 mph

Launch angle:
Pinky-off – 14.9°
Normal – 14.4°
Choked-up – 13.5°
Split grip – 11.8°

(the split grip probably keeps the bat head from dropping down as far as normal because of the shortened bat and leverage changes, so it worsens the launch angle)

This is very interesting in that a heavier or longer bat would seem to lead to greater launch angle.

So, as I have always said, use 1. the longest bat you can swing, that 2. is the heaviest

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Nice thread topic. And interesting study by driveline.

I think the driveline study might give a little insight as to why the split grip could be more useful in softball than baseball.

They sum up the split grip in the conclusion as "It might be worth switching to a slight split grip when facing a pitcher that lives up in the zone or has a high spin rate and/or high vertical break on their fastball".

I bet a split grip would be a nice bandaid for some hitters vs high velo or exellent spinning riseballers like Fouts(velo) or Rochard(spinning). Fouts velo is rare and Rochards spin axis(at that velo) is rare. And hitters dont get to see their type of stuff that often.

Aug 20, 2017
Nice thread topic. And interesting study by driveline.

I think the driveline study might give a little insight as to why the split grip could be more useful in softball than baseball.

They sum up the split grip in the conclusion as "It might be worth switching to a slight split grip when facing a pitcher that lives up in the zone or has a high spin rate and/or high vertical break on their fastball".

I bet a split grip would be a nice bandaid for some hitters vs high velo or exellent spinning riseballers like Fouts(velo) or Rochard(spinning). Fouts velo is rare and Rochards spin axis(at that velo) is rare. And hitters dont get to see their type of stuff that often.
Yes. Have seen it used more often vs rise ballers. I’m thinking if posture is bad this could be used as a drill to work on that and helping with bat path. As driveline points out it can flatten launch angle some so could be used for players that are consistently under.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Have seen it used more often vs rise ballers...could be used for players that are consistently under.

1. Instead of swinging at balls above the strike zone, wouldn't it make more sense to practice plate discipline, and/or fix your swing?

2. If I were a pitcher/catcher and I saw a hitter switch to split grip in anticipation of a rise ball, I would throw it low.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
With softball bats as hot as they are solid contact rules. If a split grip helps the batter get that contact then it might be useful. It might be bat speed/ exit velo vs more consistent contact. Here is one interesting quote from the study;

You can see athletes swung the bat with a higher average bat speed using a normal and pinky off grip, as shown in the bat speed comparisons, but they were much quicker to the plate with choked-up and split grips, as shown by the rotational acceleration and time to contact comparisons.

Aug 20, 2017
So could see some benefits for two groups:
Those that are late
Those that are consistently under

I agree it’s a band-aid but it could pay dividends “in season” while continuing to work on addressing the mechanical flaw causing those issues

Nov 5, 2014
I know nothing about hitting and rarely if ever even venture into this forum but I was surprised nobody mentioned that ULL under Michael Lotief had incredible success with every player, slappers and power hitters alike using some amount of a split grip.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Split grip freaks me out, I don't know how people can use it. The only Major player I remember seeing use it is Nelson Cruz against certain pitchers or in certain counts.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Josh Harrsion is the only current MLB player who I think uses the split grip.

Pretty sure some guy named Ty Cobb used the split grip in his career, he had a few hits back in the day. But the split grip seems o have gone away in MLB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478