Spins

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 21, 2016
In the "Unleashing the textbook riseball" thread Java wrote:

"For what it's worth... I teach ALL spins from day 1....

I expect all students to be able to recognize and produce:

1) 6-12
2) 7-1
3) 7-1, yawed
4) bullet

Then...

5) backspin
6) 9-3

And each has a GREAT use... "

Is there an example or thread that discusses how to throw each of these spins and what they look like? I've seen "yawed" a few times as well and don't understand what that would look like. Admittedly, I'm just a dumb bucket dad. The only softball pitching knowledge I have has come from this site or people associated with this site over the last year.

Josh

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A striped/marked ball is really useful in learning spins. You might not get the stripe perfect, but it helps to see the spin. A good spin is one with the axis close to perpendicular to the direction of travel. I like balls marked so I can see the axis:

DotBall.JPG
DotStripe.JPG

These pics are shown from the perspective of the catcher:
Rise:
Rise.JPG

Drop
Drop.JPG

Curve
Curve.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
A striped/marked ball is really useful in learning spins. You might not get the stripe perfect, but it helps to see the spin. A good spin is one with the axis close to perpendicular to the direction of travel. I like balls marked so I can see the axis:

View attachment 11599
View attachment 11600

These pics are shown from the perspective of the catcher:
Rise:
View attachment 11601

Drop
View attachment 11602

Curve
View attachment 11603

I'm going to add to this the following....and my intention is not to stir the four-seam vs. two seam pot.

There are pitchers out there who throw these pitches as two-seam rather than four-seam pitches, and even in-between the two. I think the main point is the direction of spin (and thus axis). So, while the arrows hold true for the perfect spin for each of the shown pitches, the orientation of the ball (seams) relative to the arrows can vary and still be quite effective.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I forgot a yawed spin. This is the two seam version (for Doug ;) .) From the catcher's perspective, this could be described as:
-12/6 yawed
-Cutter (towards RHB)
-Two seam fastball
-An indicator of an I/R release

Yawed.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Looking back as JS's spin descriptions--I'm not sure I understand? [MENTION=8694]javasource[/MENTION] when you get a chance, can you let me know if any of these match what you were describing:

6-12?
6-12.JPG

7-1 yawed?
1-7YA.JPG

Or, 7-1 yawed?
7-1YB.JPG

Thanks!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members