Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
I only watched a few pitches but 12-6 spin on her fastball and very good palm up curve spin. Good curve but not as much break as I was expecting.
12-6 spin that makes you say "wow" at 50 mph should create a heck of a drop ball

Jul 22, 2015
Sometimes pitches don't do what it looks like they "should" do. My theory (and that's all it is) is that these pitches are sometimes released with poor timing and/or at the wrong trajectory. For example, the 12/6 pitch with fast spin is released a little late at more of an upward trajectory so that the drop is less noticeable.

Apr 28, 2019
Just a pitching dad. I have been fortunate to see a lot of really good pitchers from all ages over the last couple of years. Saw a kid this weekend that is 5.5 and a little on the skinny side. Probably 50 on most pitches but as I walked by she had unbelievable spin on the ball. Her pitches didn't break that much but the number of revolutions on the ball was unreal. I called my daughter over and a dad and they both went wow after watching one pitch. The young girl is an average pitcher at the moment but what does this mean later on?
The more spin the better. As long as it’s the correct spin. Certain pitches require specific spin. The tighter the spin and more revolutions should translate into better speed and better movement.
The tighter and faster spin should reduce drag resulting in better velocity.
Change-up is just the opposite. You want it to flutter like a butterfly and let the air slow it down.

Jan 28, 2017
Sometimes pitches don't do what it looks like they "should" do. My theory (and that's all it is) is that these pitches are sometimes released with poor timing and/or at the wrong trajectory. For example, the 12/6 pitch with fast spin is released a little late at more of an upward trajectory so that the drop is less noticeable.

Her release looked a little different. Forearm away from her body a little and maybe a timing issue. I watched about 6 or 7 pitches and one curve everything else fastball. Just really expected the ball to move a lot and it didn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45