Spin, Speed or Spot??? in light of the WCWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
The first thing I noticed college coaches do at camps is gun the pitchers. Even during the camp games, you could have the spin pitcher dominate and get the K’s but the pitcher who threw 60+ consistently got the love. I never quite understood it but have been to enough camps/showcases to know it.

Feb 15, 2017
Feb 15, 2017
If you keep the speed the same and increase the spin rate the pitch is going to be more effective, that makes sense. Then there is this; Bauer Units

BAUER UNITS

Bauer Units are an easier way of determining how useful the spin numbers are compared to the velocity. We can calculate this metric by taking average spin rate and dividing it by average velocity. Bauer Units are useful because we can have a case of two pitchers with the same spin numbers, ex. 2200 RPM, but one pitcher throws 90 MPH and the other throws 83 MPH. The pitcher throwing 90 MPH with 2200 spin is not as impressive as the pitcher throwing 83 MPH with the same spin. Typically, we would tell the harder throwing pitcher to throw up in the zone purely off his velocity and his high spin, but because his Bauer Units would equate to around 24 that would be only 1 unit off of average (23), therefore he would want to hammer the bottom of the zone. On the other side, the pitcher throwing 83 MPH has a Bauer Unit measurement of 26 which is incredibly impressive. This would allow him to throw up in the zone even though his velocity is not blow away type numbers because he produces above average spin with that slated velocity.

Sounds like you just described Greg Maddox...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28