Spin rate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2022
How are folks measuring spin? Do you have access to a facility with a Rapsodo or Hittrax that you can measure with? The price point on these seem still a bit too high for the average family to have on their own. Been thinking of getting my 12/13yr old's spin measured...more out of curiousity!

Jan 6, 2018
How are folks measuring spin? Do you have access to a facility with a Rapsodo or Hittrax that you can measure with? The price point on these seem still a bit too high for the average family to have on their own. Been thinking of getting my 12/13yr old's spin measured...more out of curiousity!
The diamond kinetics ball is a great entry level tool. Don’t trust it for speed though. The spin rate seems accurate assuming my old rev fire is also accurate - they seem to jive.

Jul 31, 2019
I still have my RevFire. I have a DK ball as well but the RevFire is easy to use and accurate

Jul 31, 2019
Let me ask the question a different way.

Without changing IR mechanics, if I can increase the spin on my fastball, will the speed improve?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.

Without changing IR mechanics, if I can increase the spin on my fastball, will the speed improve?
In baseball studies have shown that increasing velocity increases the spin rate, I would guess that the same holds true in softball. it's kind of the reverse of what you're asking.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Diamond Kinetic, the app is a little complicated.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
What I'm curious about is RPF's (revolutions per foot). If you have two pitches with identical RPM's but one is thrown at 60mph and the other at 50mph the slower one will have more RPF's, does this mean more break? Or, because it's slower, less break?
Slower pitch will move more inches and faster pitch will appear to move more suddenly (perceived as late break.)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

I believe that the spin and speed of a fastball generally go hand in hand.

With a rise, it’s possible for the spin rate to increase more than the speed (relatively.). I hope that makes sense.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Slower pitch will move more inches and faster pitch will appear to move more suddenly (perceived as late break.)
Could be, but the faster a plane goes the more lift the wings generate. I'm not sure what applies in the spin/velocity example. I have looked for information and found this but I don't know exactly how to interpret it.

. In addition, this study used the ratio of the spin rate to the ball speed as a parameter to analyze the pitching state of the pitcher’s four-seam fastballs. It can be seen from the results of the NPB and MLB matches that when this parameter increased, the Magnus displacement of the ball also increased, thereby decreasing its late break. As a result, the spin rate to ball speed ratio verified that the late break of the pitcher became smaller, and thus the power of pitching reduced. Using this system, pitching information in the baseball game was easily obtained and recorded for further discussion.

It seems to be saying that more spin increases break which makes sense, but it decreases late break making the pitch less deceptive. Does that mean that more spin is bad?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
Could be, but the faster a plane goes the more lift the wings generate. I'm not sure what applies in the spin/velocity example. I have looked for information and found this but I don't know exactly how to interpret it.

. In addition, this study used the ratio of the spin rate to the ball speed as a parameter to analyze the pitching state of the pitcher’s four-seam fastballs. It can be seen from the results of the NPB and MLB matches that when this parameter increased, the Magnus displacement of the ball also increased, thereby decreasing its late break. As a result, the spin rate to ball speed ratio verified that the late break of the pitcher became smaller, and thus the power of pitching reduced. Using this system, pitching information in the baseball game was easily obtained and recorded for further discussion.

It seems to be saying that more spin increases break which makes sense, but it decreases late break making the pitch less deceptive. Does that mean that more spin is bad?
That makes some sense. A good comparison for this might be a curve ball vs a slider in baseball

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28