Speed progression - for those that have been there

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
For my dd (18U - not growing anymore), developing her glutes and doing strength training that improved her core and balanced out her upper body strength truly helped this past winter. We found a really great trainer who works with mostly baseball players but he did some research and developed a very specific program for her.

^^^ this^^^

My DD
10 year old 50 mph
11 yo 50 mph
12 yo 51 mph
13 yo 52 mph
14 yo 54 mph
15 yo 55 mph
16 yo 56 mph
17 yo 60 mph
18 yo 63 mph

Found a great ex-MLB trainer who mitigated her quad dominance through a year of building up her backside (glutes, hamstrings) and core strength.

Also, don’t forget about stretching.

Apr 20, 2017
For what it’s worth while not really a good indicator. Since different size girls have it easier or harder. Most increases for my DD comes over the winter. We spend about a month or so on building velocity when we start up winter work after arm rest. Then the rest of the winter we work on dialing in her pitches with higher velocity. She will only hit her max in games a few times and as season continues they will be seen more regularly and become her cruising speed. Her biggest jump was actually going to 12” ball from the 11” ball. She is almost 6ft at 14 so the bigger ball actually fit her hand better. We have always tried to gain 2-3 a year. As it gets higher it gets much harder. I wouldn’t compare your DD to anyone else’s speed but set an increase goal for her then make a plan to reach it.
These are max speeds in game hitting spots.
8= 43
9= 47
10= 50
11= 58
12= 61
13= 63
14= 65

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members