speed & movement--one more time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The fastest pitcher at the College World Series is Chelsea Thomas. She can throw 70 consistently. The trouble is, she doesn't have a breaking pitch.

A 70 mph fastball will strike out a lot of second tier teams, but it isn't going to work against the top tier teams. In the super-regionals, Thomas got UCLA one gae, but in the second game they ripped her. She didn't pitch the decisive game against UCLA. Arizona State took her apart at the first game of the CWS.

What the hitters did after the first UCLA game was to swing more freely and not worry about missing it. Then, the hits started coming.

Moral of the story: No matter how hard you throw, you better have a breaking pitch.

Ray

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ueno's bread and butter is her fastball, but has other pitches. She has a good curve, and a decent drop and a screw. She likes to throw an off-speed drop. Generally, her breaking pitches aren't as good Osterman's. But, she throws several MPH faster than Osterman.

Mar 19, 2009
The fastest pitcher at the College World Series is Chelsea Thomas. She can throw 70 consistently. The trouble is, she doesn't have a breaking pitch.

A 70 mph fastball will strike out a lot of second tier teams, but it isn't going to work against the top tier teams. In the super-regionals, Thomas got UCLA one gae, but in the second game they ripped her. She didn't pitch the decisive game against UCLA. Arizona State took her apart at the first game of the CWS.

What the hitters did after the first UCLA game was to swing more freely and not worry about missing it. Then, the hits started coming.

Moral of the story: No matter how hard you throw, you better have a breaking pitch.

Ray

Sluggers:

You have posted this twice so far. I watched Thomas against OU in the Big 12 finals, I had a good seat as there wasn't a great crowd. She has a pretty decent drop, and she does have a screw that tails in, but does not really have a sweeping break. Then again as hard as she throws she doesn't need to move the ball a great deal.

In the first game, UCLA chased pitches and didn't display an abundance of plate discipline, they clearly scooted back in the box and made an adjustment in the 2nd game. It also looked to me like Lagenfield got the benefit of a liberal inside corner where Thomas couldn't buy a strike on the inside.

I have not watched the ASU vs Mizzou game yet, on DVR, so I will reserve my comments on that game. My guess is nerves and Thomas was over throwing her pitches.

In the battle of the fresman Bach clearly had the experience edge. Because Iowa plays HS well into late june, Thomas really has no "big" game experience. Bach on the other hand has pitched in several ASA nationals and the last 2 years pitched at Gold nationals. My daughter has faced her 4 or 5 times since 10u.

As an OU fan Missouri will be scary for a while with the way they are coached and play.

I have never heard a college coach ask "how much does she spin the ball?" They all want to know how hard they throw, because it is much easier to teach spin then velocity.

May 12, 2008
I have never heard a college coach ask "how much does she spin the ball?" They all want to know how hard they throw, because it is much easier to teach spin then velocity.

How many hard throwers with lousy spin get taught good movement in college? What's the percentage and who are they?

May 12, 2008
Ueno's bread and butter is her fastball, but has other pitches. She has a good curve, and a decent drop and a screw. She likes to throw an off-speed drop. Generally, her breaking pitches aren't as good Osterman's. But, she throws several MPH faster than Osterman.

She throws harder than just about anyone doesn't she? I haven't studied her pitches or patterns but my recollection is everyone said the key for her was the change.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Jeff H: This is not about her personally. I'm sure she is a wonderful young lady. This is also not about what she will be next year, this is just about her now.

She doesn't have a breaking pitch. She can make the ball move a little down. Making a ball move a few inches isn't a breaking pitch. Osterman throws a drop. Nelson throws a screw. There is no comparison.

For her to succeed at the CWS, she needs a breakiing pitch.

As to Ueno, in 2004 and 2006 she had little ball movement. In 2008, she threw an off speed drop. and has developed a pretty good curve. The other thing is that she has amazing control. She never throws two pitches in the same location. Go back and watch those Olympic games, and it is something to see her work the edges of the zone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28