Speed for So Cal Seth

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2020
Again thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. Seth asked for a speed thread, so here's my best shot. I'm sure I'll forget something because I'm spitting fire and typing at the same time

Speed can be coached and it's great for mental preparedness for athletics

1. Quit jogging. Jogging isn't speed it's slooooow.
2. In baseball only run 180 ft and softball only run 140ft. A little extra never hurt my girls. Sprints only
3. Practice track skips, walks, and marches. A skips, B skips, D skips......... You have to train your brain to run and recover quickly. It's tough work. Videos are available. I'll try to find and post some good ones tonight or tomorrow. Promise
4. Proper warm up and stretching.
5. I love and train using uphill sprints to start because it limits speed and reduced injury.
6. Stretch and warm up
7. Stretch and warm up
8. Don't bother with a stop watch. It's a waste of time unless you have a clipboard and sweet Bike coaches shorts.
9. Don't quit it takes time. You have to be determined to get better
10. Stay tuned

Aug 25, 2019
MY DD definitely needs speed training, can you explain #3 a bit more? She should skip, walk, and march around a track?

Oct 26, 2019
I'm confused...140 ft? What distance does this equate to in softball?
I think that’s the “little extra” never hurt. Extra past 120ft I’m guessing. Which would be the 180ft baseball equivalent...or I could be totally wrong which I realize as I am typing this.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think that’s the “little extra” never hurt. Extra past 120ft I’m guessing. Which would be the 180ft baseball equivalent...or I could be totally wrong which I realize as I am typing this.

In baseball, 180 ft is home to 2B. In softball, home to 2B is 120 ft. I feel like I'm missing something.

Nov 18, 2015
It's for 10U - simulates a ground ball to SS, running 60' to 1B, overrunning 1B by 20', realizing it's an overthrow, then continuing 60' to 2B. Voila`! 140 feet. :)

(OK - I know, reality is groundball, runner runs EXACTLY 60' and stops on 1B bag...)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
In baseball, 180 ft is home to 2B. In softball, home to 2B is 120 ft. I feel like I'm missing something.
You round the bases not straight lines?? Actually it is probably a typo.
What I think he is trying to get across is that conditioning science/coaching needs to be updated. Old school coaches still having softball players run a mile under 6:30 thinking. Be quick and explosive so train to be quick and explosive. Pitchers training may differ some.

Jun 26, 2020
I'm confused...140 ft? What distance does this equate to in softball?
Because running 40 yards is useless in my opinion plus they'll always pull up a couple steps early. People hate running. An extra 20 ft is fun ;). 180s in baseball is about the max someone can run wide open. Also running 3 bases is more rare in both sports

Jun 26, 2020
MY DD definitely needs speed training, can you explain #3 a bit more? She should skip, walk, and march around a track?
Absolutely. I was going to post videos later. Im just hanging in the hotel for a few waiting on a business dinner

I'll keep it very simple for everyone. Track has always broken down running strides into A,B,C,and D
A is high knees which is the first movement
B is the clawing or grab when your foot hits the ground. You're actually ripping through the ground
C basically puts both together and trains you to get your hips open while keeping them square with your target
D is the finish. Butt kickers basically.

You've seen teams doing these as part of their warm ups,but few have any clue what they're doing and do it wrong

A March is a very slow and deliberate cadence that forces synchrony between your arms and legs. CRITICAL!

A walk is just that. A walk through with a little more confidence and speed. It's a great warm up! They really train the brain

A skip is a faster cadence with rhythm.

After skipping you run. Pattar loves the skip phase from what I hear

I will link videos when I get back. Im hungry. Most are junk some are overly technical. I'll try to stick with concise straight to the point videos. I've trained a lot in track so I'm picky

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K