someone pulled a bat exchange on DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
ever hear of one like this

after first game on Sat, DD is upset, her bat (2020 Ghost drop 10) is missing, but there is a same model/length drop 11, teammates and one AC try to tell her it is hers, but she knows better. it is not in anyone on her teams bag (and I cannot see anyone on her team doing this, pretty decent group of girls and they all seem to get along). another dad goes to other team, and asks them if anyone got them mixed up, DDs bat had a very distintive red mark on it from stitches of a ball. no one has it (or at least none of the bats they showed him has it). DD is very upset, she liked her bat, says grip feels different, etc.

anyway, long story short, Sunday, she breaks out of her current slump, goes 2 for 3 with 4 RBI in semifinal, using the "impostor" bat.

funny part of all this, DDs bat was obviously used quite a bit more than the one someone "exchanged with her", paint fading and bat all marked up, grip was much darkere due to dirt, etc.

she was going to get new bat anyway this winter, so now we will simply sell this impostor bat and one of her other older backups, they are in good enough shape that together might come close to paying for new bat (probably another ghost).

will take one dads advice though, and unwrap grip a bit, and mark handle underneath somehow, for definitive (DD says serial number sticker had come off her bat earlier in the year) proof of being hers. will probably also sharpie it somewhere unobtrusive but definitively will all 4 of her initials.

even after her great day with it, she was still steamed about it on ride home, because it was "HER" bat.

May 6, 2015
privately, I thought it was funny, they exchanged a well used for a lightly used bat of the same model. would you straight trade a 2015 car with 100k miles for same year, make, model with 200k on it?

consensus is that when she was last out once, someone on other team must have done it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
ever hear of one like this

after first game on Sat, DD is upset, her bat (2020 Ghost drop 10) is missing, but there is a same model/length drop 11, teammates and one AC try to tell her it is hers, but she knows better. it is not in anyone on her teams bag (and I cannot see anyone on her team doing this, pretty decent group of girls and they all seem to get along). another dad goes to other team, and asks them if anyone got them mixed up, DDs bat had a very distintive red mark on it from stitches of a ball. no one has it (or at least none of the bats they showed him has it). DD is very upset, she liked her bat, says grip feels different, etc.

anyway, long story short, Sunday, she breaks out of her current slump, goes 2 for 3 with 4 RBI in semifinal, using the "impostor" bat.

funny part of all this, DDs bat was obviously used quite a bit more than the one someone "exchanged with her", paint fading and bat all marked up, grip was much darkere due to dirt, etc.

she was going to get new bat anyway this winter, so now we will simply sell this impostor bat and one of her other older backups, they are in good enough shape that together might come close to paying for new bat (probably another ghost).

will take one dads advice though, and unwrap grip a bit, and mark handle underneath somehow, for definitive (DD says serial number sticker had come off her bat earlier in the year) proof of being hers. will probably also sharpie it somewhere unobtrusive but definitively will all 4 of her initials.

even after her great day with it, she was still steamed about it on ride home, because it was "HER" bat.
Yikes!
Actually have heard this similar switch'a'roo story befor.

Perhaps its better to not know for whom the bell tolls...

Remind your dd
Any bat, Any pitcher, Any day,
CRUSH IT ! 👍

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2017
Had something similar happen once. My DD went and picked up with a team that had a couple more pickups. We played several days and due to being a week long tournament a couple of the regular girls came in towards the end of week and pick ups left. The day after the tournament I get a message from the coach asking me to check my DD bat that it may have been swapped. I open her bag and it is her bat and I tell the coach. Later that night I get called by the girls mom telling me that the bats were swapped. They went home with a drop 11 and had a drop 10. I tell her that we did not have a drop 11 so there was no way it was us that they swapped with. So she goes on for 30 min basically accusing me of swapping them and they she knew it was us and she had the receipt and everything for the bat we had. And should do the right thing and give them their bat back. I finally think I can solve this I have the receipt and it has the sticker on it for warranty. I sent her a picture of the bat with receipt and matching stickers showing we bought drop 10. And she still acted like it was us that had done it. I repeatedly told her that talking to me was not doing her any good and she should be asking others. And never did say anything about being sorry for the confusion. A month later I did find out they found the right bat and another player had it. The lady once it was all solved never even let me know they found it or said anything to us. It was the craziest thing about a bat I’ve been around.

Jan 28, 2017
TB baseball game and on the last play the coaches got into it. My son singled and the runner on 1st was called out going to 3rd. My sons bat was at home plate and the other team picked it up. Coaches and parents were going crazy (not me this time). I knew one dad on the other team and he saw me coming and asked what was going on. I told him, I thought they had accidentally picked up the bat. Then I saw one of their dads tell a kid to put the bat in his bag. I walked over and got the bat out of his bag and said, TY. Unreal sometimes. My son was 10.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
TB baseball game and on the last play the coaches got into it. My son singled and the runner on 1st was called out going to 3rd. My sons bat was at home plate and the other team picked it up. Coaches and parents were going crazy (not me this time). I knew one dad on the other team and he saw me coming and asked what was going on. I told him, I thought they had accidentally picked up the bat. Then I saw one of their dads tell a kid to put the bat in his bag. I walked over and got the bat out of his bag and said, TY. Unreal sometimes. My son was 10.
Geeez
Good paying attention and having backbone.
The evidence was in the bag opening it took some chutzpah.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Put a distinctive grip on it. Greatly lessens the chance of someone making a "mistake".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28