Someone explain to me the obsession with "knee drive" for hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
With everyone only looking at side view videos, I'm sure it seems that way. But the video evidence from the catcher view proves it beyond a doubt.
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif
Like that gif. Do you have it all the way to heal plant?

May 12, 2016
With everyone only looking at side view videos, I'm sure it seems that way. But the video evidence from the catcher view proves it beyond a doubt.
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif
Magic is happening in the midsection, supplemented by scap engagement, Yes coiling is certainly happening as a result

Nov 16, 2017
So how exactly do you initiate the core pulling? What is "firing" to get the "ball rolling"?

Great question!!!,

This is also super crucial. The hands can't start first because if they outrun the lower half you are pushing. The best thing to do is feel this yourself.

Get yourself into a leveraged FYB position. Using your core while keeping your upper body still as you can start turning your hips. This core pull is what actually causes TTB. As the hip begins to move the rear arm moves to slot and the front elbow gets up. This is why TTB is NOT forced. It is reactive to the pulling core. At this point you should almost be feeling like you are turning sideways.

At this point you are basically at a lag position. Now you can understand why Pujols, ARod, Bonds, teach a straight down hand path. It is the core that creates the down and the core that that creates the up. The hand path must remain linear or you are going to get Loops.

Nov 16, 2017
I used to buy into this video:

This works but it is not what the HOF do. It is a cheat, or shortcut, but not what the best do.

Notice when he demos the "chop" down to swing his hands go first. His hands outrun his hips to the 90 degree point.

The chop hand path, put in proper sequence to a pulling core with proper posture and a leveraged lower half is HOF.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Magic is happening in the midsection, supplemented by scap engagement, Yes coiling is certainly happening as a result
There is no scap 'engagement' in this GIF, the scap 'snaps' back at the moment of uncoil, which happens in the split second after this GIF. There is no active action of scap loading. If you actively 'load' it, it can't snap.

The moment of uncoil, which makes the scap snap and the back elbow go down (and the bat head with it - if you hold the bat right, and have the bat head up, not flat or down), is the initial moment of the swing forward phase. (99% of kids coil open with one foot off the ground, with a tiny scap snap, then the back elbow goes down, then bat drag, then you're out, then you're out of baseball, then you cry.)

Coiling is 'a result'??? I want some of your weed dude.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I want to chime in on this but don't have the time now. FFS and I had a disagreement on leg action a few years ago. I called what the knees do "knee chase" or "Elvis." I think you might be able to search that.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Start with the rear knee inside the rear foot and don’t let it get back over the rear foot. Boom
I thought so too for a while, but you can coil open while you stride while doing this. But if you coil inward with both the hip and shoulders, this will happen. Correlation vs. causation or something. :)

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I used to buy into this video:

This works but it is not what the HOF do. It is a cheat, or shortcut, but not what the best do.

Everything he is saying is correct. BUT, he doesn't know how to make this happen. He isn't really demoing anything to make this happen, and he doesnt know how to make this happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802