Someone explain to me the obsession with "knee drive" for hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
This could be the best argument to have.

This gif is very telling (pirated from Mud in another thread)

View attachment 18713

And leads me to believe that TM is a little off the mark(but very close and very good). However, I think that AJ could not do this.

And I'm not quite sure how TM uses bonds as his example and comes up with his formula.

I really like rendon and he does a similar move. The rear knee does not drive so much as it gets into position. I think he's watched bonds.

I think that there is something missing from the "hit the ball with the rear hip"/TM philosophy. It also goes against the "anchor the rear leg" crowd.

It is very hard to explain.

I don't think hit the ball with the rear hip is a TM philosophy if that is what you are saying. @Mudders Brudder is the one who uses that (which I believe he more or less took from Ted Williams' teaching of how the hips are used in hitting but I could be wrong there) and the idea is that you are resisting with the upper half as the lower half is turning (hitting the ball with the rear hip) which is one way of interpreting what Bonds is doing on the offspeed pitch. Continuing to resist with his upper half as lower half fires a bit early due to the offspeed pitch. Him getting into his legs more on the offspeed pitch assists with the "resisting".

I believe TM basically says that once you coil around the back hip the action of the hands (TTB) at launch breaks the resistance caused by that (creation of the corner) which then snaps the knee forward. I believe TM would say that Bonds holds the corner created on that offspeed pitch until he launches.

Basically bottom up vs top down. You also have a middle imitated swing which I will let somebody else explain :LOL:

Edit: Since creation of the corner also involves a "pullback" of sorts you could say TM is saying to resist with the upper half as well but he doesn't use those words.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
I don't think hit the ball with the rear hip is a TM philosophy if that is what you are saying. @Mudders Brudder is the one who uses that (which I believe he more or less took from Ted Williams' teaching of how the hips are used in hitting but I could be wrong there) and the idea is that you are resisting with the upper half as the lower half is turning (hitting the ball with the rear hip) which is one way of interpreting what Bonds is doing on the offspeed pitch. Continuing to resist with his upper half as lower half fires a bit early due to the offspeed pitch. Him getting into his legs more on the offspeed pitch assists with the "resisting".

I believe TM basically says that once you coil around the back hip the action of the hands (TTB) at launch breaks the resistance caused by that (creation of the corner) which then snaps the knee forward. I believe TM would say that Bonds holds the corner created on that offspeed pitch until he launches.

Basically bottom up vs top down. You also have a middle imitated swing which I will let somebody else explain :LOL:

Edit: Since creation of the corner also involves a "pullback" of sorts you could say TM is saying to resist with the upper half as well but he doesn't use those words.

I lump TM in with mud because i think it's the same thing. It's pretty good but I think it is not complete.

Bonds's knee is forward before the end of pullback. It doesn't snap either. To me it looks like he pre-positions it more than anything.

It is very different than the knee/hip forward barrel rearward that we get from mr. @rdbass

I am very interested in the discussion.

Someone has the slow mo or a better gif please post it.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
AJ, fires the rear leg/hip here.

WJJbQns.gif

Similar movement here as well.

McM8euM.gif

Bonds doesn't exercise the same movement pattern.. His hands are being pulled down by the core from a leveraged position. The off-speed pitch he utilizes the core pulling against both hips extending.

SZliEkL.gif

IY36z3t.gif

Miggy as well on the is clip.

k4xI3PF.gif

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
AJ, fires the rear leg/hip here.

WJJbQns.gif

Similar movement here as well.

McM8euM.gif

Bonds doesn't exercise the same movement pattern.. His hands are being pulled by the core from a leveraged position.

SZliEkL.gif

IY36z3t.gif

Miggy as well on the is clip.

k4xI3PF.gif
So how exactly do you initiate the core pulling? What is "firing" to get the "ball rolling"?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The obliques are contracting (pulsing) against the leverage created by both legs. The contraction pulls the hands down to.

J1c5pt0.png
You've said this a million times I still don't understand what it means or how you would even teach/explain it to a hitter..that problem is more on me than you I guess :confused:.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
You've said this a million times I still don't understand what it means or how you would even teach/explain it to a hitter..that problem is more on me than you I guess :confused:.

The first step is removing the rear leg as a driver and use both legs for leverage against the stretching core... Hard to do if you're trying to blend both patterns... DRDRODD, mentioned something about deadening the legs and using the rear leg as an anchor.. This could help remove the rear leg as a driver also.

Jun 8, 2016
DRDRODD, mentioned something about deadening the legs and using the rear leg as an anchor.. This could help remove the rear leg as a driver also.
If we are talking about Marcela here (not sure why we are but ok..), the both of you suggested something similar.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
All this coil stuff is BS. The inward turn doesn't load anything but the glute medius...there are bigger muscles to use. Notice that the aggressive movement happen after the hips are uncoiled from the rear leg?

With everyone only looking at side view videos, I'm sure it seems that way. But the video evidence from the catcher view proves it beyond a doubt.
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2