Someone explain to me the obsession with "knee drive" for hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TM posted Trout on his Tweeter acct. so, he must be....
Just like you(TD) claim ''best allow there hands to be pulled by the core down to the ball''....
I'm guessing neither I've you have spoken to Trout.....so, you both are making CLAIMS.

Yea, we have seen Richards hitters and none of them match his claims and made up terms.

Swinging down to without the fear of hitting everything on the ground while allowing the hands to be pulled by the core from a leveraged position.

6QMamp0.gif

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I think your photo supports my point, it's impossible to "drive the knee" and still generate something that looks like a swing without involving the hips/glutes. Your hips in the photo are not closed to the picture are not closed as you say they are opening just as they should.
Semantics! I said close, it should have read open!

My hips rotated marginally. Marginally until facing RF which is when the back elbow reaches slot. If on the inner 1/2 or a little more, they would completely opened. My load stays strong, released as needed. If an inside pitch, the upper body releases to a fully opened position so the hands get well inside the ball to deliver the bat head sweet-spot on the ball. If outside, the lower half, ideally times rotation to orient to RF, but at least the upper body can stay back if fooled by movement or speed. In other words the upper body stays coiled as long as needed, and AT LEAST to slot, "hip connection". No knee drive? Then what is the difference between "squishing the bug" or just twisting your back knee as much as your spikes will allow to swing?

Attachments

• 117127844_277392266893560_2179049021446996666_n.jpg
    117127844_277392266893560_2179049021446996666_n.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
My hips rotated marginally. Marginally until facing RF which is when the back elbow reaches slot. If on the inner 1/2 or a little more, they would completely open. My load stays strong, released as needed. If an inside pitch, the upper body releases to a fully opened position so the hands get well inside the ball to deliver the bat head sweet-spot on the ball. If outside, the lower half, ideally times rotation to orient to RF, but at least the upper body can stay back if fooled by movement or speed. In other words the upper body stays coiled as long as needed, and AT LEAST to slot, "hip connection". No knee drive? Then what is the difference between "squishing the bug" or just twisting your back knee as much as your spikes will allow to swing?
If you are coiling inward as you stride, it is impossible to open the front shoulder.

Why do you want to do that on an outside pitch, open completely pulling the front shoulder? For one thing that spells hitting a lower outside pitch in a weak groundball to the SS, or shanking a pop-fly or high flyball to the right-side. Not everyone is 6'5" or more. There are some guys that pull every pitch they can: Judge can, Rizzo, Heyward of the Cubs, etc. There are "norms" and there are exceptions.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Very good gif here! Lots to take away from it. Some on here would consider this bat drag lol

How does one know what happened without knowing the pitch position at contact and what movement there may have been? Bat drag? Bat lag, but if someone sees bat lag they need some teaching. What I do see is almost a "barred" front arm. But that can be explained by a slider, a changeup, etc. on the outside part of the plate. Opinions are more realistic after about 30 samples.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Rotation and knee drive are not adjustable?

trying to make them power players in your swing will cause sequence and postural issues. For me rotation is innate. Driving a knee is early rotation. Can’t drive a knee without opening to soon and being susceptible to off speed or cheating to the fast stuff and the outside is pulled off early. Postural. Loss of direction and or space.

If you can sequence the swing w a middle first launch reactively w the hands I think that leaves a player w more options and less holes. I want to see the hands and middle synced.

So where does the ‘power’ come from? GRF, hand speed and the middle of the body. I think this drill here w the right intentions creates that FEEL.

1597059733308.gif

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
No !! He is about swinging down to and looks to keep his rear foot anchored.

UHgkblZ.gif
This is not a swing! It's a hands drill to feel the unimpeded release of the barrel and the wrist(2) snapping through the ball. Think of it as the last stage of the Barry Bonds drill.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This is not a swing! It's a hands drill to feel the unimpeded release of the barrel and the wrist(2) snapping through the ball. Think of it as the last stage of the Barry Bonds drill.

Disagree.. Its a swing from a leveraged fyb hitting position. Its a great angle for the "down to" part of the swing.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
trying to make them power players in your swing will cause sequence and postural issues. For me rotation is innate. Driving a knee is early rotation. Can’t drive a knee without opening to soon and being susceptible to off speed or cheating to the fast stuff and the outside is pulled off early. Postural. Loss of direction and or space.

If you can sequence the swing w a middle first launch reactively w the hands I think that leaves a player w more options and less holes. I want to see the hands and middle synced.

So where does the ‘power’ come from? GRF, hand speed and the middle of the body. I think this drill here w the right intentions creates that FEEL.

View attachment 18735
And I am saying it is the opposite! Just as in my personal photo, my upper body remains in "coil", like the tip of a bullwhip and releases as required. My National team girls do not open up early or they get fixed. Opening premature is a huge sin in my opinion. What you are doing with this argument is creating a small finite window for accurate contact in a sea of variations of location, speed, and movement. And there is no capacity for adjustment for these issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478