Some throwing tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2012
Hey guys. I was wondering if you could give my daughter a few tips with her throwing. I am sorry the video is sideways. :) I think she is starting to lean to far forward when she throwing, causing her to loose some power. We are using a baseball in the video.

thanks guys

YouTube

Jun 24, 2013
Have her point the ball behind her or towards 3rd before throwing the ball, see if that gets her elbow up a little bit.

Also have her step with her right foot towards you before she throws it, that should get her body more into the throw.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
Just a general piece of advice is at this age they do a better job of mimicking you then listening, you need to throw the ball correctly too.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
5356A.jpg5357A.jpg5358A.jpg5359A.jpg5361A.jpg
Here is my 7YO DD fooling around with no shoes pitching a baseball with her cousin. I couldn't get her windup in but teaching her how to pitch helped to get her to use the hips to generate torque and get some power behind her throws.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is very good for her age. Too much info will only confuse her. I would keep saying "get your elbow high, like you are raising your hand in class."

Does she know what a 4 seem grip is? She needs that and the ball out in her finger tips. Start with a baseball (for size), if needed. And remind her, to turn side ways. One of the chapters in my imaginary book will be Everything in Softball is Sideways.

And next time - hold the smart phone (wait for it) - sideways.

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks.. that is what i have been doing with her. I am having her start with her hand high and back.. then step and slam the door. I will also throw in some foot work as well. I think the cups the ball a little bit as well, and that is why i got out the baseball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Good. She is great. You don't even have to say "slam the door." Hips are important, just like in hitting. I show them rather than use terms that will confuse her. If you are throwing nice and easy and correctly, it will take her awhile to get there. I find that boys pick it up, much easier. (Not always, but sometimes.)

Jan 7, 2013
DD (10u) used to throw just like that. Spent a lot of time with drills from Austin Wasserman. Those really helped.

But one drill I think helped the most is when I have her try bounce a tennis ball over the house. In order to get the right angle to make the bounce she has to get her elbow above her shoulder, her hand in the right position, and her feet set correctly.
Other wise it doesn't doesn't make it to the roof, or it goes off in the wrong direction, or too far to the sides. Try it yourself, it's almost like a self correcting drill. We a have a tall roof, so the ball always comes back to her after a correct throw, so she could do it again. Then I have her throw the tennis ball at the wall with the same motion, and after awhile her tendency was to throw with the high level technique you learn about in Austins videos.

We also try to follow Jaegers long toss progression. It's hard to long toss without getting everything right.

Now she's nailing runners stealing second base fairly regular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45