Softballers playing Baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
Both my kids play ball but my 10yr old DD is way more into it than my 11yr old son. (though he is a good player) Well DD's tourney got canceled on friday and my son's team, who I coach, was missing a couple players. "well hell I'll just suit up a couple softball players". I got my DD on 3rd and my TB SS to play short for us. Both players went 2/3 and made plays in the field. The coach for the other team was super impressed by the girls and it was fun to see them out there. Once they got used to the look of the pitches....it was on. lol

Apr 16, 2013
My DD is 15, still plays baseball at a very high level a few times a year. This is her first year in fastpitch. I'll just say she's done quite well. :) Having to keep up with boys after 12 has made her a much stronger athlete than if she just played with girls, IMO. I tried to get my DD's softball SS to come and play with us once. She's a fantastic athlete, don't know if she even knows how good she is. She would have done well. Sadly she turned us down, but I think lots of girls should try it. Like any sport, it'll only improve your current sport!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I drafted my dad's team one year, he was down in Florida.

Dad: did you know you drafted a girl?
Me: Yes

Other coaches stayed away for her because, well, she was a girl.

One of the best players in leaque. Once she hit HS she,stopped with baseball and played softball.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My DD played some baseball early on as well. It's unfortunate, but I see a lot of softball coaches (mostly rec) that hold their girls back by treating them differently than the boys. They are every bit as capable of playing the game as the boys are, if they are given the opportunity.

Apr 16, 2013
My DD played some baseball early on as well. It's unfortunate, but I see a lot of softball coaches (mostly rec) that hold their girls back by treating them differently than the boys. They are every bit as capable of playing the game as the boys are, if they are given the opportunity.

Amen, amen, amen! That's what my DD hated about softball. She played rec for one season with her best friend. (While playing travel baseball.) No one would even throw with her because she threw too hard. At that age, boys aren't stronger than girls, they're just raised differently and not treated with "kid gloves". My DD actually wants to volunteer to coach this coming spring as it counts for her community service hours. She wants to coach a baseball team. I told her she'd be hard pressed to get a baseball team as dads volunteer left and right. Softball often struggles to get coaches though and she'd probably have a good chance of that. She's afraid the girls and parents would melt (ala snowflakes) with what she'd expect of them. I think she should go for it. (I'd assist her.)

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Quote Originally Posted by FP26 View Post

Amen, amen, amen! That's what my DD hated about softball. She played rec for one season with her best friend. (While playing travel baseball.) No one would even throw with her because she threw too hard. At that age, boys aren't stronger than girls, they're just raised differently and not treated with "kid gloves". My DD actually wants to volunteer to coach this coming spring as it counts for her community service hours. She wants to coach a baseball team. I told her she'd be hard pressed to get a baseball team as dads volunteer left and right. Softball often struggles to get coaches though and she'd probably have a good chance of that. She's afraid the girls and parents would melt (ala snowflakes) with what she'd expect of them. I think she should go for it. (I'd assist her.)

A M E N!!!! We saw similar....started in baseball switched to softball...felt like we too a year to two step backwards in the knowledge and skill sets. Start the girls early and teach them early. You can teach the game all the while making it fun at the same time.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

When DD was 11 she decided to try out for the All Star Team (Little League Softball). I was asked to coach. At the first practice we focused on baserunning and sliding. Many of the players were pretty good at sliding, so I asked them who could demonstrate a popup slide. No one knew what I was talking about, so I demonstrated. After doing it twice, every girl on the team wanted to try it. And within a few attempts nearly all of them were capable of doing it. Practice that night was scheduled for 90 minutes but it ended up being close to 3 hours. The players didn't want to go home, and the parents seemed to enjoy it as well. If the field had lights, we may have stayed longer. The point is that these girls wanted to learn and were thrilled to be taught things like that. They were more than ready, and truly enjoyed it. Give them a chance. They may surprise you...

ian

Jun 11, 2015
DD played baseball untill she was 12. Unfortunately her (old) High School softball program is one of those daddyball/favoritism programs. Last year the daddyball coach told her on the first day of conditioning she was not going to make the team. The roster was filled with favorites and players who could not compete for playing time with the coaches children.

So she walked down to the baseball field. The baseball program is merit based. She had just finished cross country and was in excellent shape, made the cut. The team won league. After the season the team captains told her she was the reason they won. They said she pushed them during conditioning and "no one wanted to lose their position to a girl" DD was so proud to earn a spot and had a great time.

https://youtu.be/q0Ujx1uyt0E

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802