Softball vs Soccer people.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I'm an occasional hockey uncle and for the games I've seen parents are relatively well behaved. Their kids are behind plexiglass and the benches are often on the other side of the rink so yelling doesn't do much good.
What I did notice is that when the boys get old enough to check, the moms are on pins and needles. When their son delivers a check, it's a "great shot". When they are on the receiving end, the other player plays dirty.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
This forum is unlike any other. Go to other softball forums and the jerks are allowed to run rampant.

Just an update. The soccer forum I frequent has fallen into chaos. Some of the really helpful threads regarding seasons starting back up after Covid turn into nothing but political pissing matches. It stinks because there are some really knowledgeable people on that forum.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Just an update. The soccer forum I frequent has fallen into chaos. Some of the really helpful threads regarding seasons starting back up after Covid turn into nothing but political pissing matches. It stinks because there are some really knowledgeable people on that forum.

No moderators?

Apr 16, 2013
I'm fine with basic levels of arguing as long as it's pure logic and facts vs emotion. However, once name calling begins, the ban hammer should start falling. This current pandemic is full of politics and devoid of logic and reason. Sad really. As long as we're outdoors, we should have been playing in April. The dead period and extension of another year for seniors is an example of what happens when emotion rules decisions. :-(

Oct 4, 2018
Soccer is a beautiful game (when played at a high level).

Strange that parents get more worked up in that game, I'd be eager to learn why. I'm sure many parents out in the world have experienced both and could explain it.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Soccer is a beautiful game (when played at a high level).

Strange that parents get more worked up in that game, I'd be eager to learn why. I'm sure many parents out in the world have experienced both and could explain it.
I think I mentioned my theory at the beginning. I think it has a lot to do with most parents being familiar with the rules of softball (baseball) because they have been around and exposed to it all their lives in on way or another.

Many parents, on the other hand, do not know many of the laws (rules) of soccer. They will scream and yell at a ref if they see the ball carrier step on a line not realizing that it's the ball that determines if the play is dead. Very few truly understand the offside rule and even those that do think they have a better view of it from the opposite end of the field then the AR that is following the play.

"HANDBALL!!!!" Many don't understand that for handling to be a foul it has to be deliberate. Every time a ball hits a players hand or arm does not make it a foul.

And contact is always a hot issue. Many parents flip out every time their kid gets knocked to the ground. Yes, sometimes it a foul but most of the time its a totally legal play.

There are a ton of examples that I could give. When you get one sideline (or both) worked up with all different kinds of screaming because of the infractions that they see (and clearly don't understand) it can make for crazy times.

Oct 4, 2018
I think I mentioned my theory at the beginning. I think it has a lot to do with most parents being familiar with the rules of softball (baseball) because they have been around and exposed to it all their lives in on way or another.

Many parents, on the other hand, do not know many of the laws (rules) of soccer. They will scream and yell at a ref if they see the ball carrier step on a line not realizing that it's the ball that determines if the play is dead. Very few truly understand the offside rule and even those that do think they have a better view of it from the opposite end of the field then the AR that is following the play.

"HANDBALL!!!!" Many don't understand that for handling to be a foul it has to be deliberate. Every time a ball hits a players hand or arm does not make it a foul.

And contact is always a hot issue. Many parents flip out every time their kid gets knocked to the ground. Yes, sometimes it a foul but most of the time its a totally legal play.

There are a ton of examples that I could give. When you get one sideline (or both) worked up with all different kinds of screaming because of the infractions that they see (and clearly don't understand) it can make for crazy times.

Hmm...

I've played both sports competitively, and soccer is far, far, far easier to understand the rules than softball/baseball. And even for those who have played baseball, softball has its own unique craziness. Safety bases, look back rule, FLEX/DP/Base Burner, dropped third strike with 2 outs and 1b occupied. Add to that the standard baseball craziness of infield flies, foul tips caught for strikeouts, tagging up on foul balls, ground rule doubles stuck in the fence, balls thrown into dugouts, fielder interference, obstruction, illegal pitches...

Softball has way more rules, and many aren't intuitive. Or have exceptions.

Offsides is tough until you learn it once. Then you know it's the placement of the players at the time the ball is delivered. These soccer parents should know by the end of club season one what the rules are, as they really aren't that tough and there aren't as many.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Hmm...

I've played both sports competitively, and soccer is far, far, far easier to understand the rules than softball/baseball. And even for those who have played baseball, softball has its own unique craziness. Safety bases, look back rule, FLEX/DP/Base Burner, dropped third strike with 2 outs and 1b occupied. Add to that the standard baseball craziness of infield flies, foul tips caught for strikeouts, tagging up on foul balls, ground rule doubles stuck in the fence, balls thrown into dugouts, fielder interference, obstruction, illegal pitches...

Softball has way more rules, and many aren't intuitive. Or have exceptions.

Offsides is tough until you learn it once. Then you know it's the placement of the players at the time the ball is delivered. These soccer parents should know by the end of club season one what the rules are, as they really aren't that tough and there aren't as many.

Yes but most parents have played baseball or softball growing up. And the technical rules of softball are subtle and rarely result in someone’s precious kid getting knocked on their butt.

I’m a referee and I can assure you most parents have a very poor understanding of the laws of the game. And most of the screaming and yelling comes from the lack of understanding of the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Yes but most parents have played baseball or softball growing up. And the technical rules of softball are subtle and rarely result in someone’s precious kid getting knocked on their butt.

I’m a referee and I can assure you most parents have a very poor understanding of the laws of the game. And most of the screaming and yelling comes from the lack of understanding of the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That might be true. I really don't know if "most parents have played baseball or softball growing up". My wife didn't. I did both.

But you might be onto something. When a girl fails at softball, it's largely their fault. They struck out, they missed the ball, they ran to the wrong base. Hard for a parent to yell at someone for those things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom