Softball viewing from the Hill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Guess what I did Friday and Saturday? So DD's school does not allow any spectators at softball games, but every other sport it's okay and every school in the conference allows spectators! Me and the DW flew up to Dallas, Ubered to the field, stole DD's car, and off we went.

We picked up some chairs at Academy and checked into the Hotel. We then went back to the fields and found a place on a hill 100 yards from the outfield fence. What boggles my mind right off the bat was seeing 3 entirely full outside basketball courts with guys playing along with people watching. My guess 50 people. No masks either. Unfortunately the OF is lined with trees that impede our view, but we found some spots that we could see the P/C and hitter. DD being the C, that view was best for us. We could see the ball being pitched but if the ball was batted on the ground we couldn't see anything but just imagined what happened. If we really wanted to know we could watch the Live feed from our phone which had a 1 minute delay. I sat there fuming watching the basketball games being played into the night with both the Athletic Director and Asst Director in attendance. Can they NOT see the hypocrisy?

We were the only parents there along with some of BF's "supporting" (yelling and heckling) from the hill. They were pretty hilarious even not knowing anything about the game. Saturday they played one game and I noticed that the CF camera was not in place. Aha! What a perfect place for me to stand since it was elevated enough for my head to poke over and watch. I found out later that the girls loved seeing me there. I was quiet for the most part. When the guys started yelling some crazy things about getting HBP is illegal and I told the Opposing team's CF that they were soccer players which she smiled at. Now I need to find some type of makeshift stand or stool that I can easily set up for the next home game.

Oh let's talk about the flights. Nearly completely full-both flights. So you can have 140 passengers elbow to elbow in an enclosed aluminum tube, but can't accommodate 80 spectators at a softball game outside? As we began to stand up and gather our carry ons the flight attendant comes on the air and says something like "please maintain adequate distance from your fellow passengers as you stand and leave the plane" What? I could see everyone looking at each other with dumbfounded looks. C'mon man!

I am grateful that they are playing and feel really bad for my DD's former teammates that are NOT playing in the Ivies and you folks in California.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Find the nearest industrial rental company and have them delivery a scissor or boom lift to the field. Perfect view. Just get some of those fake credentials on a neck strap and a camera, and you can get away with just about anything. :) (thus sayeth the former photographer...on an unrelated note, I do not carry bail money)

Apr 20, 2015
I can't decide if I should be proud of the big 10 for streaming all their games this weekend of ashamed of them for the absolutely atrocious job they did doing it. I stream a better game for my daughters team with commentary. It was also very sad that they put not a single game on their main network with real crews. Your P5, you allowed not even family for an outdoor event okay I'm going with ashamed of them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
Just returned from Florida where DD’s college team played. It was awesome in that the weather was great and we were allowed to watch from normal seating. Masks were pretty much adhered to by the college parents. They have skin in the game and they are mostly going to do it whether they want to or not. There were references to “bubbles”, parents aren’t allowed in many areas we normally would be and contact with our daughters was really limited.

The weird twists:

The games were held on a quad. On Saturday and Sunday there was a 10u tournament going on on the other three fields! Thank you, Mr. Tournament director! They wandered in and out of the stands, some masked some not. We had to walk through the goofiness of the wagons left in the middle of the walkway, the people talking in groups in the middle of the walkways, the (cheering?) moms dads and grannies, the general disorderliness of parents who have not yet learned how to act in that setting etc etc etc. Which is fine. But dang it, we are all trying to keep our college season going. Whether you “believe” in the rules or not, how about not doing anything that puts these college kids season in jeopardy? How about acting like you aren’t the only person who exists in the world?

Next thing: We found out last night that the college we are going to this week is limiting tickets to get in. There will be a lottery. We may not get in to watch. We have already bought plane tickets. We have a rental car. We have a hotel.

This is a stadium setting. It’s outdoors. People can be required to wear masks. Some of us have been vaccinated, (meaning me.)My wife has the anti-bodies and knows this because she has been giving therapeutic plasma for two months.

This really irritates me. NCAA makes money on these athletes. Very few softball players are getting their college completely paid for. Last weekend, my wife and I had to pay $120 bucks to a scumbag tournament director, (thought that was over), to watch my kid play for a school that we are also paying for and my family had to pay $13 bucks to watch it streamed badly on Flo, (another money chiseling profiteer band of pirates). And some knucklehead college is going to keep me from watching a game next weekend? And I’m just now finding out about it?

Come on. Do better.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
thats thinking outside the box to get to se daughter play.. I was in Miami visiting my older dasher at the university of Miami. NO SOFTBAL THERE GO FIGURE..however there was baseball game going on and one of the first sporting events this year on campus to allow some if any spectators.. well needless to say the amount of tickets avail and the capacity allowed n stadium we didn't get tickets.. se went to 4th deck of adjacent parking garage and watched from there over rt field wall in 70 degree Miami night.. feet alittel sore from standing .. but got to watch some live sports first time in year... hopefully more to come...

Dec 11, 2010
I can't decide if I should be proud of the big 10 for streaming all their games this weekend of ashamed of them for the absolutely atrocious job they did doing it. I stream a better game for my daughters team with commentary. It was also very sad that they put not a single game on their main network with real crews. Your P5, you allowed not even family for an outdoor event okay I'm going with ashamed of them.
Absolutely right.

Do. Better.

You are going to make cash televising softball on the Big10 Network later this year? You aren’t letting parents in? Crappy streaming? No live scoring? Come on.

Commentary doesn’t have to be done by a pro. Just tell us who is hitting, who fielded it etc.

BTW, was in a full airport and on a full plane with a Big10 team last night. They are all going back next week end.

Edited to add.... Some parents must be getting in. Was also on the plane with a Big10 pitchers parent..... She is pretty well connected so I’m sure she had an angle.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The conference my dd played in has also prevented fans from attending games. It does not make sense. They allowed limited fans at home basketball games. Softball is played outdoors at most schools. Who is the genius who came up with this? At my dd's former school, you could drive up and park your car and watch the game since the parking is elevated and circles the OF. Not one fan has to get out of the car to watch and as many as, well a whole lot, could do so safely. Instead, they have blocked the entrance.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Note that the name of this site is: "Discuss Fastpitch". Not "Discuss Politics". Not "Discuss Media".

There are forums for free wheeling discussion of politics and the media, but this isn't one of them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee