Softball v. Baseball Glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
My DD uses a Heart of the Hide Pro Mesh 12 3/4" model features a PRO H Web pattern. Catching with it in the OF since 8 1/2 years old. It's discontinued and needed a couple new laces as they broke doing drills catching softballs from a pitching machine maxed out at 75 mph.
884e957bda1a9f9c9e694523be442f82.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I personally don't think there is much of a difference between a baseball glove and a softball glove. Now there is a difference once the glove is broken in imo. If you break in a baseball glove with a softball or by playing catch with a softball the pocket will get bigger over time, and that baseball glove becomes a softball glove.

My 10u daughter has had an 11.75" Wilson A2k baseball glove for 3 years now. That A2K has been a great softball glove. My 9 year old son has an 11.5" Rawlings HOH. I won't let my son play catch with a softball with that glove since I believe over time that a softball will make the pocket too deep. IMO it is all about how you break in the glove.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Heck yeah Bob, you sir are awesome! A 7 year old using a Wilson A2K, 3 years later that young lady is ruined for anything less!

What was I thinking buying a 7 year old that nice of a glove, lol. I bought her that glove for Christmas during a Black Friday sale for about $280. I remember one of her adult male coaches was trying to put her A2K on his hand and I had to ask him not to put his hand in the glove because I did not want him to stretch the finger stalls out. The coach gave me a weird look like I was joking. I politely told him I was being serious. I guess I am a little anal about her gloves.

I also look at gloves a little differently than others. She will get 4+ years out of that A2k, so about $75 per year. I am sure I can sell that glove for $100 once she is done using it also. She has a 12" A2000 also (softball version), I don't care for that glove personally and neither does she. The A2000 seems heavy and I don't like the velcro. I have been thinking about purchasing her a 12" A2k for when she move up to the 12" ball.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
What was I thinking buying a 7 year old that nice of a glove, lol. I bought her that glove for Christmas during a Black Friday sale for about $280. I remember one of her adult male coaches was trying to put her A2K on his hand and I had to ask him not to put his hand in the glove because I did not want him to stretch the finger stalls out. The coach gave me a weird look like I was joking. I politely told him I was being serious. I guess I am a little anal about her gloves.

I also look at gloves a little differently than others. She will get 4+ years out of that A2k, so about $75 per year. I am sure I can sell that glove for $100 once she is done using it also. She has a 12" A2000 also (softball version), I don't care for that glove personally and neither does she. The A2000 seems heavy and I don't like the velcro. I have been thinking about purchasing her a 12" A2k for when she move up to the 12" ball.
Man, it sounds like I could have written this word for word!

Maybe check into a 12” DW5 like Westwind just ordered for his DD, pretty sure she likes hers. Are you 100% stuck on Wilson?

Yeah, with gloves, I’d say I’m a little anal myself ;) The two coaches know not to put their hand in Anna’s or any other girls gloves on our HS team, well they know it now!

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
Honestly, it's my experience that it takes time for those finger stalls to form. Putting it on once won't really make a difference. I got my DD an A2000, 11.25" model, when she was 8. It fit my hand "ok" when we were trying them out at the store. (Dick's... hangs head in shame.) After a few months I tried to put my hand in it and you could feel the leather had very much formed to her hand and more importantly, finger tips. Even though the finger stalls allowed my fingers to push in, I could feel where her fingers had molded the leather.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I just never understood when another dad, a coach, or just an idiot in general sees a glove, a glove that clearly a young female is using, they just have to try their best to shoehorn their big ole bear paw inside that glove??

At our last showcase tournament before school ball, a dad asked me about a particular glove and I told him I had one and would bring it back the next day.

The following day after the first game we walked the 16 miles back to the parking lot :rolleyes: to check the glove out. This guy who I really didn’t know (his DD is a serious baller!) looked this glove all over, up & down for probably 4 or 5 minutes, never once even thinking about putting his Hand inside!

I remember saying, “man you’re alright” and explaining what we’re talking about right now, he said “NO SIR, I never put my hand in another persons glove, never!”

So some people get it, most don’t though!

Mar 13, 2010
Personally I never understand why people keep buying new gloves!

I had a Rawlings for 15 years (and was my mums beforehand) and the only reason I don’t have that anymore is because my kit got stolen. I did go through a few gloves after that but my Nokona I’ve had for 4 years now and I love it. Take care of it and hope to not need a new one

Apr 16, 2013
I remember saying, “man you’re alright” and explaining what we’re talking about right now, he said “NO SIR, I never put my hand in another persons glove, never!”

I can't ever remember putting on someone else's glove; but at this point forward I now know to never attempt to do so. This is a new rule to me.

Jan 24, 2022
Everything relies on the player’s comfort. This is crucial for youth players in particular. They should protect their hands from possible damage, especially when considering the bat vibration that comes into contact with the ball. If your child wants to grow as a hitter, they must be able to swing and play in that position frequently, meaning that they should wear batting gloves rather than taking time off of training to heal their hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45