Softball v. Baseball Glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2019
My 10yo has always used a baseball glove since 8u. She's had an A1000 11.5" for the last two seasons and has always just preferred the way baseball gloves look versus fastpitch gloves. She's never had a problem fielding a 11" or 12" ball with a small glove. Baseball gloves just seem to be made better.

Sep 1, 2021
Baseball and Softball glove models are designed differently to accommodate the size of the game ball. For example, a baseball is only 9 inches in size and a baseball glove is designed to catch and hold that size, whereas a softball could be 11 or 12 inches, so these gloves have a larger pocket.
I'm so intrigued by how you decide which threads to respond to. A mystery wrapped in an enigma..as they say. The majority of the pocket is formed during break in. A baseball glove broken in with a 12 inch softball will look and play much differently than the same glove broken in with a baseball.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I have a mizuno that I love, I don’t see the need spending 200+ dollars on a glove, my mizuno is 70 dollars and it works great for me and it is good quality!!

At some point, the investment in better quality may be warranted, but I tend to agree, especially for younger ages. 12yos and younger are still growing and figuring out what works best. Spending $200 on a glove for a 10/12yo is unnecessary and looks like more of a "keeping up with the Jones" thing. Most manufacturers make a decent glove at the lower end that works just fine. I bought a Wilson 12.5-inch SP glove 20 years ago for ~$60 that I've used a LOT. It has the exact same pattern as a Rawlings that I'd owned for the previous ~15 years. It's probably the last glove I'll ever own for myself. How you take care of it makes a huge difference in longevity.

Mizunos lower-end gloves break in easily and hold up pretty well. A couple of years ago, I bought DD a new Mizuno Franchise catcher's mitt off Ebay for $50, which she uses to catch college pitchers during practice and warmups. I don't know how many thousands of pitches that thing has caught, probably most at 60+ mph, but it's finally to the point where it's wearing out.

Oct 14, 2019
At some point, the investment in better quality may be warranted, but I tend to agree, especially for younger ages. 12yos and younger are still growing and figuring out what works best. Spending $200 on a glove for a 10/12yo is unnecessary and looks like more of a "keeping up with the Jones" thing. Most manufacturers make a decent glove at the lower end that works just fine. I bought a Wilson 12.5-inch SP glove 20 years ago for ~$60 that I've used a LOT. It has the exact same pattern as a Rawlings that I'd owned for the previous ~15 years. It's probably the last glove I'll ever own for myself. How you take care of it makes a huge difference in longevity.

Mizunos lower-end gloves break in easily and hold up pretty well. A couple of years ago, I bought DD a new Mizuno Franchise catcher's mitt off Ebay for $50, which she uses to catch college pitchers during practice and warmups. I don't know how many thousands of pitches that thing has caught, probably most at 60+ mph, but it's finally to the point where it's wearing out.
For DD, an $80 glove lasted a 1/2 year of travel ball, but the Vinci at $160 that is 1 year old is just getting better. So it seems the cheaper glove is more expensive and not as good for its intended use from day 1.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
For DD, an $80 glove lasted a 1/2 year of travel ball, but the Vinci at $160 that is 1 year old is just getting better. So it seems the cheaper glove is more expensive and not as good for its intended use from day 1.
Experiences vary. Even under heavy use, my 35 years of softball playing and coaching experience, and DD's 15 years of playing from T-ball onward says that an $80 (and less) glove will last far longer than a 1/2 year.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
While a cheaper glove might last longer than some say, the difference with a catcher's mitt is pretty profound. Padding breaks down over time, so that an older mitt can be a liability. Also, cheaper mitts don't have as good padding, to begin with. My Liberty Advanced fastpitch catcher's mitt is no longer enough to catch my daughter, so I moved to a Heart of The Hide baseball catcher's mitt. I didn't notice the difference until she got to 62+ on the gun. The LA mitt is still in great shape, but it's not designed for that level of speed.

An inexpensive fielder's glove is a different story. If you re-lace them, they tend to get some new life in them. But, eventually, the leather breaks down and gets floppy. I do still use an old Mizuno baseball glove when I am having a catch with my daughters, but I am not doing any crazy fielding now.

I find breaking in the baseball catcher's mitt a pain in the butt. It is imperative to use the 12" ball to shape the pocket, not just the mallet.

Jan 14, 2021
At 14 my DD broke her left arm and missed what we thought at the time was a crucial TB season. Her incentive to rehabilitate was a custom A2K 11.75 baseball glove. It was incredibly stiff. We pounded with a mallet and used pure lanolin to soften it up. It was an awesome glove all the way through HS. I sent it off to have some minor repair work and it's now her backup in college where she plays short with another custom A2K--this time with Pedroia fit stalls--11.75 in school colors. She broke it in to perfection the summer before her first term at college. She has never once had another's hand in either glove and treats her equipment with respect because of the work necessary to get it perfect. Baseball gloves are better made...not even close. 11.75 is as small as I've seen with college players, but for IF drills my DD's team do everydays with 9.75 Valle gloves. No problem with the size of a softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812