Softball Tryouts - Are You or Your Daugther Nervous?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Softball Tryouts are just around the corner. I know many people get anxious and nervous at this time of the year - parents included.

Do you get nervous? More or less than you DD?

Does your daugther get nervous?

Share with us what you are feeling or experiences you had. How did you cope with the nervousness?

Marc

KAT

May 13, 2008
Mark,

Me personally I am not nervous. I have alot of faith in my DD. And since my DD was asked to join this team, and its two of her most favorite coaches she has ever worked with I think she is feeling purty good. I will ask her when she gets back. She has been in San Diego playing that other round ball sport (the orange leather one).

My daughter was allowed the honor of throwing out the first pitch at an ASA national tournament last week (her team won Metro's Championship and was the host team).

She was absolutely the most nervous I have ever seen her on a softball field. During games, tryouts, etc. she has always been very calm and cool. To make a long story short, she threw the opening pitch right down the middle.

Jul 17, 2008
Troy, Illinois
Marc,

Nervousness is really a mindset. I tell my child that "nervous is for people that don't practice." When we're in practice, I try to think of every situation and practice that. We also have tried to instill in my child but also those that play on her team to live by certain sayings. For example, "Take one day off and you know it. Take two days off and your opponent knows it. Take three days off and everyone knows it." In doing so, they have a different mindset than most.

As a parent, then the only time I get nervous is when my child is put into a situation that she is not prepared for. That usually doesn't happen in softball but if they ask her to sing...

As per tryouts, there are several things that a player can do to better prepare themselves. If you don't mind, here is a small list:

1. Affect SCREAMS! Carry yourself like you’re a ball player!
2. Understand that a tryout is not a social event. You are there to take someone's job. Yes, you are competing against friends and veterans. Nothing is guaranteed!
3. Don’t be the last person there. Don’t be the last person in any drill. Don’t be the last person to finish any run. I’m not saying that you have to be first. DON’T BE LAST.
4. Ball players are excited about getting to play. Make sure you have your equipment. Otherwise, you might leave an impression that you aren’t really excited about playing.
5. If you don’t understand a drill or what a coach ask, it is alright to ask for clarification. However, don’t make that a habit. If so, they will think that you just don’t pay attention.
6. If you anticipate a long tryout, make sure you have a snack ready to eat before practice. Don’t let eating this snack make you late.
7. Dress like a ball player. Wear softball pants/shorts if you have them, Have your "sliders" on. Look like you deserve to be on their team.
8. During warm-ups, throw sufficiently to be completely warm. Be sure to keep throwing if necessary to stay loose and warm. Playing catch is also not a social event!
9. Many think that hustling and trying to aggressively make plays is the way to impress your coaches. Coaches do notice hustle. However, understand that when it comes time to show your defensive skills you will be much better off attempting to be smooth, focusing on proper mechanics. Get your feet under you and focus on making an accurate throw. If you try too hard, rush it and throw it as hard as you can, you probably will not perform well. Also, if you are not used to throwing, you will have a sore arm for day 2.
10. When hitting, it is often a good idea to bunt a pitch to get a feel for the speed and location of the ball. After this, hit the ball. The ball will not be placed on a “T” for you. Don’t over-swing and try to hit the ball out of the park. Swing smoothly and try to hit line drives and hard ground balls. Do what you practice!

Parents:
I’ve always sent home a “Parent’s Handout.” The following is a revised version for our Tomahawks. I hope you don’t mind that I mention the following:

1. Your daughter will be under a lot of pressure due to their desire to “make the softball team.” Don’t place additional pressure on them by coaching them etc. As my Dad has often said, “the hay is in the barn.” You won’t be helping them out by adding any pressure. Should you attend any of the tryouts, don’t “coach” or give any instruction. Note, if you distract your child and the coach notices, you might be hurting your child’s chances to make the team. Silent support will still be noticed by your daughter.
2. Typically, selections to teams are based upon many factors and while ability might be one factor, it is not the sole factor for who makes teams and/or who plays. Keep in mind that a reoccuring theme now is that teams are also recruiting the parents. Think about that.
3. Parents often want to cite their child’s resume to the coach. Talent will stand out on its own.
4. Insecure parents are typically an omen of problems to come. There are experienced coaches making these cuts and coaching during the season and so, allow them to do their job!
5. During the tryout process let your child speak to you on their terms. Suggestions of this or that player and “favorites” will not do your child any good. Your child seeks your approval regardless of their athletic ability. Be, “that parent.” (As an aside, I often start conversations with my child and/or players with, “Well, what do you think?” This leaves the door open for them to speak to you on their terms. I’m not an expert. I’m simply relating to you what I do.)

Take all of this for what it is worth. I was a HS baseball coach for a couple of decades BUT I'm just a Dad when it comes to Softball.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Softball Try-Outs

DD had her 1st "A" level travel try-out ast night......she called me 3 times at work...."what do I wear, how will I do, I'm nervous, etc"........

Sites like this that gave me the correct answers to calm her down so she knew what to expect & how to act are just wonderful for parents new to travel softball....

DD was calm at the try-out and as a result, she performed well and more importantly had fun and thanked me for registering her for the try-out.....whether she is offered a spot is a separate issue, but this try-out was a positive experience for her.

Thanks to all of you for contributing.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Tryout nerves

MY 12 DD is trying out for Travel....this is the first she has ever had to try out for anything.
8 nights (not consecutive), 5 teams.

1st tryout she did really well (pitching, fielding, and hitting)... they asked her to come back for another date.
(I was able to warm her up, chat with her on the way up....)

2nd tryout she pitched great (coaches milling around), but couldn't field a ball at 3rd....she told my husband that she was so nervous.
She gets another chance for fielding next week.
(up until 3am the night before at the Red Sox game, I was running out the door right before tryout with a sick 4 year old, so her brother (14) had to warm her up, Dad got home late to get her there...all the wrong things to do)

Another tryout tonight.

She seems Ok (she doesn't seem to blow the pitching part even though I know she is nervous)...I'm not too nervous ... more hopeful.

I think she is more concerned with the fact that a lot of the girls already know each other so she feels isolated. My response was to not worry about them yet....just get on the team and she will be one of them.

She has good skills, she can play at this level. Timing is HUGE as it is very dependent on whether or not her skill mix is needed on a team.
Many of the teams are loyal to their core kids ....they don't completely turn over their roster.

We'll see!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802