Softball Swing vs. Baseball Swing - 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
MarkH or BoardMember, comments or errors in what I've presented?

No it's pretty much right though I would say PCRW IS the end not the means rather than "pretty much". Certainly good hitters exhibit good posture, good rotation, connect that rotation to the bat head well and in such a manner that the bathead whips into the ball late in the process. How you teach a kid to do that is a whole 'nuther subject. To change my mind on what elite hitters do, you have to show it to me in their clips. If a person's swing exposition doesn't match what I see in clips of elite hitters AND they don't do much in the way of swing instruction...well. As to the poster you were answering, I really try to not respond to him as I figure fewer people pay much attention to his stuff that way.

Jul 14, 2008
"I agree, Candrea is behind the curve.........."

Are you kidding me?

Well ya......and no........:cool:

I forgot, this is a softball board.......

Here are a few points from his Sport Skool hitting video that I believe are behind the curve.......

1.) Line up your knocking knuckles to grip the bat. This creates the weakest grip possible. It promotes bat drag and forces the elbows to stay close together throughout the sequence eliminating the role of the arms to create power in swing.

2.) He actually says "Do NOT create separation in the load". He makes sure to point out that the the upper body should NOT be loading during the stride. He says "we have to make the move as one unit". He says the hands move back during the negetive move. He clearly doesn't understand the loading process.

3.) He never talks about the role of the hips. He promotes staying square to the plate and doesn't understand the role of clearing the front hip prior to launch.

Other then that, his infomation is pretty basic to a fundemental swing.......:)

Here's a link to his hitting video:

How to Hit a Softball

May 12, 2008
"I agree, Candrea is behind the curve.........."

Are you kidding me?

BM answered you well but I would add this. Candrea's latest hitting offering done in conjunction with RightView is MUCH better IMO than what he's done before. His current exposition of the swing is in fact Don Slaught's (RightView guy) understanding of the swing. So I'm discussing Don's stuff rather than Candrea's stuff. Software is a GREAT idea though software guys tell me it could be a little slicker. Still great though. Swing exposition is better than many but IMO Don's understanding of the swing is two dimensional. The skipping rock cue is a REAL bad idea IMO for reasons I'll expound on if asked. The drills are awful IMO. Get the RightView software with the MLB comparison clips. For swing exposition, get Steve Englishbey's dvd's and Nyman's internet download ("Hitting for Numbies" or something like that). For drills, training and a support community for help see Steve's dvd's and the private side of his website. Those are my best recommendations.

Jun 9, 2008
A couple of things....

1. I have worked a lot with Candrea and he is one of the most knowledgable about softball hitting out of anyone I know.

2. You cannot create seperation when you load. If your hands go backwards while you are loading... you are done and your bat drags and it is hard to catch up to the ball. Your hands load in one motion with your legs.

3. Good hitting instructors do not teach hips opening.

4. I think that the fruit of his (Candrea's) teachings says a lot.

Has anyone ever seen this movie, for some reason I just thought of it...

505304~deja-vu-Posters.jpg

Jun 9, 2008
Mark H,

Guererro is not loading in that video... he is unloading into the ball. He has already loaded and seperation occurs because your lower half begins to launch your arms and hands to the contact point.

And another thing... Deja Vu... one question... I forgot... you have coached teams to the Olympics and World Series right??? Didn't think so. Keep your comments to yourself.

Jul 14, 2008
A couple of things....

1. I have worked a lot with Candrea and he is one of the most knowledgable about softball hitting out of anyone I know.

Good guy for sure........

2. You cannot create seperation when you load. If your hands go backwards while you are loading... you are done and your bat drags and it is hard to catch up to the ball. Your hands load in one motion with your legs.

What if I showed you different?

3. Good hitting instructors do not teach hips opening.

What If I showed you different?

4. I think that the fruit of his (Candrea's) teachings says a lot.

I think it shows more about his ablity to recruit the best high school players in the world for his college team, and the best female softball players in the world for his olympic team...........

It also says miles that he allows/helps them to continue to develop, rather then wreck the blueprint he recruited.........

He is also one of the best managers in the game. Very positive and really knows the game........

Anyway, let me know if your interested in seeing what the best in the world ACTUALLY do, vs. what is being shown in Mike's sport skool hitting video.....

I'll be glad to show you some stuff as time allows in the evenings.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23