Softball swing v baseball swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2008
Central, IL
I've been having a discussion with another parent about softball hitting technique and I'm having a bit of trouble. Softball in my area is something to do during the summer to keep in shape for volleyball or basketball. This is very different from the environment we left back in Indiana. My DD is an older 14U, earned her V letter this spring. She took lessons from instructors of the QuickHands technique for many years and hits pretty well. I'm not sold that it's one of the best techniques, just that it's worked so far. My problem is that most of the girls around here have been taught to hit by their dads using baseball swings taught by their dads. By that I mean weight back, hands high, elbow up, step and swing. Given all of the differing opinions about hitting (re:rotational hitting thread) one thing seems to be a given - hands close to the body; elbow below the bat head; short, efficient swing to the ball. How can I convince this dad that this is how hitting should be? His argument is he doesn't understand how you can develop any power without that long, arcing swing. My comment to him is that it mught work at younger ages but, when the speed picks up, his DD won't be able to keep up. I'm i way off base?

I don't want to spark any 30 page discussion, but I sure would appreciate some help here.

Mack

By 14U, you should be facing pitching routinely 55+. If she can hit that with a "long, arcing swing", then more power to her. I have my doubts, however.

With that being said...IMHO, a really good softball swing and a really good baseball swing are pretty similar. But, I don't personally think that a "long, arcing swing" constitutes a really good baseball swing.

Jul 23, 2008
Central, IL
By 14U, you should be facing pitching routinely 55+. If she can hit that with a "long, arcing swing", then more power to her. I have my doubts, however.

With that being said...IMHO, a really good softball swing and a really good baseball swing are pretty similar. But, I don't personally think that a "long, arcing swing" constitutes a really good baseball swing.

I'm not sure where you are, but in most parts 55+ is good for an average 18U. An average 14U pitcher is in the upper 40's, only the very top pitchers will hit 55+. That still doesn't answer my question though - how do I convince him that he should be teaching his DD to bring the bat closer, get her elbow down, shorten her step and use her hips?

Jul 22, 2008
If he's closed-minded and thinks he already knows everything he needs to know, no need to waste your time.

If he's willing to discuss and maybe learn something, start with clips of top-level softball players like these.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Mack Stated:

My problem is that most of the girls around here have been taught to hit by their dads using baseball swings taught by their dads. By that I mean weight back, hands high, elbow up, step and swing.
Mack

Mack,

So they look like these Illinois Girls?

Northwestern @ 2006 WCWS

:)

This was a pretty good hitting group of girls in 2006. Could be why your seeing some of those things in Illinois.

As you can tell from the hitting thread there are a number of opinions out there. Not only on your method of hitting, which personally I would not endorse, but I understand the guy who promotes quick hands is big in Indiana. Its the old take your hands to the ball method, squish the bug? Correct?

There are also varying methods of Rotational hitting Mack. What I will say to you is to not have a closed mind and take some time to do some research on the web on hitting. Ask questions and look for information. The thought process about hitting in softball is changing to more of a rotational method of hitting. What your daughter has learned will work but it has its limitations when you start getting to higher levels of pitching.

While you may not be seeing the fastest pitchers right now if DD aspires to be a college player at some point she will be seeing pitchers in the 60's. I will submit to you that she will not catch up with those pitchers speeds and hit the ball hard using her current method. (Talking from experience here at many different levels of softball)

If you want some resources this is a good place to start. There are many places to look for information on hitting. Take your time and again ask questions. You may find that the baseball and softball swing are one in the same. But that is a process your going to have to figure out for yourself with a little help from some others.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Elliott.

I'm not sure where you are, but in most parts 55+ is good for an average 18U. An average 14U pitcher is in the upper 40's, only the very top pitchers will hit 55+. That still doesn't answer my question though - how do I convince him that he should be teaching his DD to bring the bat closer, get her elbow down, shorten her step and use her hips?

I'm in WV, and my girl normally plays 12U in VA and TN. We see pitchers slightly over 50 fairly often in 12U, and I have seen pitchers that were pushing 60 in 14U (my DD pitches, and this is comparing the ones I see to her pitches, since I know how fast she pitches, thanks to her pitching coach's Revfire ). A 14U that is only in the upper 40's had better have some good movement/placement...for that matter, any 14U better have good movement and placement :)

I think I was confused about what you meant, btw, when I think of a "long" swing, I don't picture the swings like you see on Siggy's sites, but more of a looping swing, like my DD used to do and I am trying to fix now.

I hate to post links to other boards, but you may check out the baseball 101 board at baseball-fever, you could literally spend days going back through old posts and reading all of the lively "discussions" about swinging that have been on that board.

Jul 17, 2008
Troy, Illinois
Mack,

If you're in Central Illinois, you're in some of the best softball country around. You have teams such as the Mattoon Pride, Midland Magic and the BNGSA Angels in your area. In fact, we play more than a few softball tournaments in Central Illinois and I can attest for the quality of ball in that area. How long have you been there? BTW, Mack, I live in the St. Louis Metro East and there is some pretty good ball around here as well.

Jul 17, 2008
Troy, Illinois
Well dang it, Darrell! Don't go leaving out Casey, IL while you are discussing fastpitch! :)

Mike

Heck, that is a HUGE MISTAKE ON MY PART! You bet! Casey, Il has some of the greatest softball tradition, if not THE GREATEST, tradition in the State of Illinois. I APOLOGIZE since I know the Softball Gods have one of those lightening bolts waiting for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802