Softball Scoring Question?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2020
How do you score, in the scorebook, a pop up that pops out of the 3rd baseman's glove but is caught by the pitcher, before it hits the ground, for the out? I have been told two things. One is you score that as a F-1 and the other answer is you score it as F 5-1. What is correct? Thank you...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not sure about what is technically "correct", but I would probably enter it as F-1.

EDIT: In GameChanger/iScore, I don't think you can credit more than 1 player on a fly ball out. On a paper score book, I don't see an issue with using F5-1 as the entry to document the play.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
I would score it F 5-1, I don't see the difference in this situation and one where the pitcher deflects the ball to the short stop who then throws to first.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
Maybe F-5-1? Or F-5A-1 - the "A" to show an assist? (Is that even a stat? It's still basketball season - the lines are getting blurred...)

Either way - if it's an actual scorebook - I'd add a few !!! at the end to remind me it was a unique / memorable play.

Also - welcome to DFP!

Oct 24, 2010
Assist is a thing. From the ATEC scoring guide:

1. An assist is credited to any fielder who deflects a batted or thrown ball and
whose deflection helps make a putout possible, or the putout would have occurred
had no succeeding error taken place.

F5-1 works. Or P5-1 if you note popups.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Sounds more like an error recovered by the pitcher than an assist

A ground ball misplayed by F5, but recovered by F6, and the play made to get the out, you would score as G5-6-3. Intentionally an assist or not, they still had a hand in the play.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Sounds more like an error recovered by the pitcher than an assist

Definitely not an error.

I lean toward giving an assist to the person who deflects the ball in this situation, too. There is a note in the scoring rules about how you don't award an assist if the contact is "ineffective" (I think that's the wording), but there are no case plays and I have no idea what they really mean by that.

Oh, and for those who don't know: Any runners tagging can leave as soon as the ball touches the third baseman's glove.