Softball Scoring Question?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
The purpose of keeping score is to as best as you can determine what happened. If the ball is deflected but one player and caught by another player you have to account for both. F-5-1 . It's the same as a deflected ground ball. It's not like at the end of the year when deciding on defensive player of the year you'll see one more assist and give it to the F5.

Oct 4, 2018
Yes. And this is scored an error all the time.

The one caveat is that foul pop ups are often not plays that require ordinary effort to complete, so that's probably something that should be taken into account when making the decision.

Also allowing a foul ball to drop so the runner can't tag is consideration for it not being an error. Most probably know that.

Feb 20, 2020
To be fair, I didn't think dropping a foul ball was an error regardless, because it has no material impact on the play. But I guess I was wrong about that.

Mar 20, 2019
To be fair, I didn't think dropping a foul ball was an error regardless, because it has no material impact on the play. But I guess I was wrong about that.
It falls under the prolonging the time at bat clause in the MLB error guidance. The thinking to me is if you drop a routine pop say just foul of third and the batter hits a home run on the next pitch.... Then dropping that ball allowed that to happen.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2020
I have a scoring question that was asked of me at a recent tournament. In ITB, if the runner on second scores and game is over, is it scored as a team loss and not charged to the pitcher. It is hard to think that a runner put on without it being earned or unearned could be charged to the pitcher.
I’ve heard it is a team loss and I’ve heard it’s charged to the pitcher. Thoughts?

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
She was pitching and she did not pitch successfully enough for her team to not allow the runner to score. She gets the loss.

It's like thinking that if a run scores during a tie game on an error the pitcher shouldn't take the loss.

Wins and losses just mark who was the pitcher of record when the winning run was scored. They don't take into account fairness or effectiveness. Sometimes the pitcher gets pounded and the defense bails her out or her team gives her great run support. Sometimes a girl pitches well and her team makes errors or doesn't score her any runs and she loses.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
I have a scoring question that was asked of me at a recent tournament. In ITB, if the runner on second scores and game is over, is it scored as a team loss and not charged to the pitcher. It is hard to think that a runner put on without it being earned or unearned could be charged to the pitcher.
I’ve heard it is a team loss and I’ve heard it’s charged to the pitcher. Thoughts?

It’s just like if the winnng run reaches on an error or FC. Pitcher still gets the loss. It all evens out over the season. One day she’ll give up 8 runs and still get a win or come in and face one batter and get a win. .

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I don't believe it can be an error if the batter doesn't reach base (or runner doesn't advance).
My understanding is that a misplay--that could have been made with ordinary effort--that unnecessarily extends the at bat of the batter is also scored an error. That is, it is not necessary for the batter to reach base safely or for another runner to advance for an error to be charged. From the NCAA scoring rules:

SECTION 16. a. An error is charged against any fielder (pitchers included) for each misplay that prolongs the time at bat of the batter or the time as a runner of a base runner or per- mits a runner to advance one or more bases.

ETA: Sorry, hadn't read the whole string before posting this. I see it was covered previously.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021
How do you score, in the scorebook, a pop up that pops out of the 3rd baseman's glove but is caught by the pitcher, before it hits the ground, for the out? I have been told two things. One is you score that as a F-1 and the other answer is you score it as F 5-1. What is correct? Thank you...

F1

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478