Softball revenge stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
great story and thanks for sharing....but 8th grad stud? Middle school kids can play in HS in Alabama for 6 years?

Same way in Mississippi. DD started last year as a 7th grader. The 6A (highest classification) champs had a stud 7th grader pitch a no hitter, followed by a 1 run game in the championship series. I didn't see her pitch, but they say she's not a flame thrower, but can spin the heck out of the ball and places where she wants to. Going to try to see her play this year.

Nov 1, 2008
I'm not sure what, if any, limitations apply to the number of years they can play varsity. My DD played some varsity as a 7th grader but missed 8th grade all together due to injury. But there have been many I know of who participated in some capacity at the varsity level for 6 years.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
great story and thanks for sharing....but 8th grad stud? Middle school kids can play in HS in Alabama for 6 years?

My thoughts too. Playing for 5 years?
Here in Texas, UIL, and TAPPS won't allow anyone not enrolled in high school to play HS ball during the regular season. During fall ball they can since it's not considered official.

DD played fall HS varsity as a pitcher, but is playing MS ball this spring "official" season.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My thoughts too. Playing for 5 years?
Here in Texas, UIL, and TAPPS won't allow anyone not enrolled in high school to play HS ball during the regular season. During fall ball they can since it's not considered official.

DD played fall HS varsity as a pitcher, but is playing MS ball this spring "official" season.

In Ohio an 8th grader can play HS ball but only under a certain set of conditions and it counts against their 4 years of HS eligibility. As an example, if they play in 8th grade, they can only play through their Junior year.

Oct 7, 2014
In NY kids can play varsity sports as 7th graders as long as they are "selectively classified" which is sort of an agility test which varies from sport to sport and it also checks the kids maturity level. So a kid can have 6 years of a varsity sport it's more common for girls to do this than boys. In some of the smaller schools this is the only way they can field teams.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In GA I think it can vary county to county, but where we live a player must be enrolled in school to compete in varsity athletics. This also eliminates "home schooled" kids from participating. We are fortunate to have a good "feeder ball" program for middle school (6th - 8th).

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Not my daughter, but a girl that's been playing with my daughter for 6 years now: In the midst of 3 friendlies, she was batting last. Normally she's a leadoff or #2 hitter, but she was going to catch all 3 games (when she normally only catches one), so the manager wanted to rest her as much as possible. She's also training to run the marathon and has a long-distance runner's body. As she's coming up to bat, the opposing coach yells out to his team, "Outfield and infield, up, this is the bottom of the lineup, no hitter, get the easy out at 1!" She drives the first pitch over the left fielder and sprints around the bases for a HR. As she's rounding 1st she yells to the coach, "Easy out, eh coach?"

Feb 12, 2014
In NY kids can play varsity sports as 7th graders as long as they are "selectively classified" which is sort of an agility test which varies from sport to sport and it also checks the kids maturity level. So a kid can have 6 years of a varsity sport it's more common for girls to do this than boys. In some of the smaller schools this is the only way they can field teams.

DD did this last year as an 8th grader, not sure when but at some point our AD has to send in a waiver letter to play 5 year of varsity softball

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not my daughter, but a girl that's been playing with my daughter for 6 years now: In the midst of 3 friendlies, she was batting last. Normally she's a leadoff or #2 hitter, but she was going to catch all 3 games (when she normally only catches one), so the manager wanted to rest her as much as possible. She's also training to run the marathon and has a long-distance runner's body. As she's coming up to bat, the opposing coach yells out to his team, "Outfield and infield, up, this is the bottom of the lineup, no hitter, get the easy out at 1!" She drives the first pitch over the left fielder and sprints around the bases for a HR. As she's rounding 1st she yells to the coach, "Easy out, eh coach?"

One time in a friendly we "inverted" out batting order to get the girls who usually bat in bottom half of the order some more swings. You should have seen the look on the opposing coaches face when our #9 batter hit a 250' bomb.....

My DD is an average batter, so she usually hits in the bottom 1/3 of our order, and I love it when opposing coaches assume she cannot hit and throws meatballs.

Jan 22, 2011
Didn't quite get our revenge, but I was proud of the team on how they improved. Faced an 8u team that won every tournament they played in three times. Lost first game 1-11. 2nd game lost to them 1-5. Lost to them 0-1 in the bottom of the 5th of championship game of our last tourney on a throwing error by DD on a bloop shoe-lace flyball she barely missed, then she went for the lead runner at 2nd, threw a little high to 2nd base.... and the ball rolled to the fence.

The look on their coaches faces on a couple defensive plays.... especially when we went for a runner at first with a runner at third and our first baseman fired the ball to the catcher 3 steps before the runner got there.

Actually... we did get our revenge..... tournament director said he only had enough left-over ice cream for one team, so told me to send our team over to the snack shack after trophy presentation.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45