Softball returns to Dallas...and everyone ignores social distancing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Yeah tourneys in OK pretty much business as usual which is fine with me since I get to sit all by my lonesome (well with wife and kids when they go) behind the OF fence...

The advantages of the OF fence line, especially when there are nice shade trees there, are widely under-appreciated.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
We've been playing for the last month in the middle of the country....every tournament in a different ball park. Nobody connected with the team wears masks or worries about handling gear. Nobody connected with the team has the 'rona, and nobody I know connected with softball has come down with it for any reason. In fact, the total number of people I know who've contracted this can be counted on one hand with fingers left over.

Off-field: One venue restricted seating to the fence line, but everything else is pretty normal. One nice thing I've seen is a team gate fee charged up front to avoid the bottleneck and allow all other gates to be open. I see that as an unqualified positive for the teams, with the possible unintended consequence of MORE people being in the park that we might otherwise see.

On-field: No post-game high-fives or prayers, but everything else is normal. Defense provides the ball, which adds to the motivation to track down the fouls. I don't treat this any differently than I do any other bug: once at the field, I act like my hands have been dipped in bird sh!t. I don't touch my face or eat anything until I've washed them thoroughly.

I believe that being outside in relatively large ballparks and maintaining some decent personal hygiene and reasonable distance from the masses greatly reduces the risk. Softball is a sport that only occasionally requires close contact between participants. Sports such as football and basketball may work out differently in terms of transmission. We'll see.

Sep 10, 2019
The beaches in and around San Francisco are packed. It’s mostly groups of teens and 20-something’s going crazy on cheap suds. No one is enforcing the laws at the beaches, so no one is following the laws. However, softball has not yet returned - darn the bad luck. lol

Apr 28, 2014
I would love for it to be that simple, but..... It's looking like some of the warmer areas (Arizona, Texas, Florida) are now getting hit like the east coast and Illinois did 2 months ago. I've been following Arizona because my son is supposed to go to ASU in August. Their daily testing has gone from 10 or 11K in the end of May to 15 of 16K now, so it has increased. But daily cases have tripled in that same time period.
Daily cases have tripled because they are testing people with symptoms. Unless someone is in a high risk group the risk for serious illness is very low.

Nov 5, 2014
Daily cases have tripled because they are testing people with symptoms. Unless someone is in a high risk group the risk for serious illness is very low.
Any data source for these 2 assertions. I dont have any contrary data just anecdotal evidence from living in NY, the former epicenter. I have seen no data comparing the characteristics of those tested but here early on you could only get a test if you were very ill as testing ramped up the group that was tested became more diverse and started to include asymptomatic individuals and repeat testing of those who were negative but in high risk situations, so one person could account for multiple negative results.

I have seen data to support a low fatality rate for younger people with no pre-existing conditions I have not seen data that chronicles how sick these people get. I have dozens of examples of healthy people in the 35-55 age group getting very ill but eventually recovering. Direct quote from my college roommate "believe me you don't want to get this". Would love to know statistically how likely these anecdotal examples are.

Mar 6, 2016
Here are a few links to sites that give a breakdown of past and current numbers (tests, cases, hospitalizations, deaths). It's quite shocking how the numbers have all gone up so quickly. The key numbers are ICU hospitalizations and deaths. # of cases could rise based on # of tests, but if ICU numbers and death numbers dramatically rise....that is the real concern.

Just here in OC, we had our highest number of deaths in 1 day (26). I think the highest we've had before that is 13 or lower. So, that number is scary.
Orange County, Ca. numbers

World numbers

USA- State by State numbers

Apr 1, 2017
Worldometer site is good. It has links for most of the states to various health department, etc. websites too.

Nov 5, 2014
How about this folks, if you don't feel safe then DON'T PLAY! Stop the lamenting. If you feel safe. Play. Crazy how that works.

A lot more to it than that. Those of us travelling significant distance at substantial cost have to make travel plans for events like PGF Nationals without any clarity on the likelihood of the event taking place not to mention the impact this is all having on recruiting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449