Softball returns to Dallas...and everyone ignores social distancing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
ok this is a political matter and I don't really want to get involved in politics here. I have been with my DD at tournaments in both Oklahoma and at the 2 now in the DFW area (the one with the article in Dallas Morning news) social distancing from looking at it from the outside is in fact not occuring, With that being said, Teams are staying with their teams. we are not interacting with other teams or teams families. The teams are not sharing the same ball and dugouts are getting cleaned before each game. I think of our team as a family and if any member or my family I'm going to treat as normal because I know that any member of my family will alert me if someone they have been around is getting sick or been around anyone that is sick. No one from our team has gotten covid and we have been to 5 tournaments in the last 2 months. PS. if you have an iphone. Apple is now tracking you with the latest update to monitor who you have been around for Covid reasons I'm sure.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Florida PGF events have been pretty good; you do not social distance within your team but there has been limited between teams. And the parents have been mostly good about staying out beyond the outfield fence and only being on concrete for restrooms/concessions.

The first USSSA event there was an incident; they knocked that hard and they bought in hired deputies for the next event and had enforcement.

First time I think I have ever said that Florida actually did it better than some others are doing.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Florida PGF events have been pretty good; you do not social distance within your team but there has been limited between teams. And the parents have been mostly good about staying out beyond the outfield fence and only being on concrete for restrooms/concessions.

The first USSSA event there was an incident; they knocked that hard and they bought in hired deputies for the next event and had enforcement.

First time I think I have ever said that Florida actually did it better than some others are doing.
"The first usssa tournament there was an incident"
That needed hired deputies???
Story time please 🙋

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
"The first usssa tournament there was an incident"
That needed hired deputies???
Story time please 🙋

Third hand:

Some idiot (possibly idiots) becoming belligerent and screaming at the tournament director (who is an absolutely wonderful person) "I will do what I want; you can't tell me what to do" when told they couldn't be in the main area of the complex and had to spectate from the outfield or similar. The normal idiot who can't follow the rules when everyone else is and will ruin it for everyone else.

After the event USSSA basically said, if it happens again they will shut down all events and the team will be barred (and all the other sanctions also supported the message)

USSSA rightly felt it was a good idea to have some support for their staff, There have been no new incidents. I believe last week they also set it up so parents couldn't even come into the complex until their teams game started.

Frankly, I wouldn't have been as nice; I would have given them one chance to comply and if they couldn't, I would have just thrown the team out

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
Up here in ND everything is all normal, larger crowds, social gatherings. Record number of teams (still small in comparison to bigger areas) at tourneys. DD is just playing more local then the big travel for now (IP). We are very lucky at this point only 233 active cases in the entire state. Gonna run down to Rapid City SD this weekend, will see how SD does it.

Sep 1, 2017
We are set to move to the next phase of our re-opening in IL Friday and we will be playing in a tournament this weekend. I will be curious to see how the rules are followed, we have been practicing for the past month and have implemented various procedures for our practices. Coaches wear masks players are spaced apart.

I am excited for our team to play but at the same time concerned. We have done a good job in IL in regards to flattening the curve but that is because of guidelines set forth by the state. I have a strong sense that within the next month that will start to reverse, I hope I am wrong but based on what other states are showing I am not overly confident.

I really don't understand why this is deemed a political issue, the virus could give a darn about your political associations. Although not required I plan on wearing a mask this weekend when in close contact with the team, just as I do at our practices.

May 20, 2015
we've hosted scrimmages and started rec games last night

so far so good.....fans spaced in the outfield, separate sections for each team's fans

2 girls in dugout, one on deck.....others spaced on fence (we've got them chairs and tents).....umpires wearing masks & gloves

we sanitize every half inning; we provide sanitizer for rec games

everyone has been following for the most part......they just want their girls to play......our fields are private property, if someone truly doesn't follow and gives me a hard time (so far everyone has been cool when i have had to remind them), we will simply place a call and local PD will serve a trespass order......LL and our org has already met with them ;)

two observations: as a coach, i LOVE parents in the outfield.......can't stress this enough lol

our players are starting to like the 2 at a time in the dugout.....spaces them out a little, they say they like having a little room.......but without benches/dugout, chairs and the tent are a MUST

Apr 1, 2017
More testing = More cases
I would love for it to be that simple, but..... It's looking like some of the warmer areas (Arizona, Texas, Florida) are now getting hit like the east coast and Illinois did 2 months ago. I've been following Arizona because my son is supposed to go to ASU in August. Their daily testing has gone from 10 or 11K in the end of May to 15 of 16K now, so it has increased. But daily cases have tripled in that same time period.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28