Softball- Pitching- and MONEY!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hi everyone-
I'm 16 and an avid pitcher. I am looking for anything that's going to make me better on the field. I work out 3-4 times a week- but I also work 6 days a week so it's really hard to get a long good workout. I work across from a sporting good's store- but it is sort of expensive.

Does anyone know where (even internet) to get some cheap things? Like maybe, Therabands? or Pitching weights? Bat weights? I could use all the help I could get!!

Thanks Tons-
Court

May 7, 2008
Court:

Great to see your enthusiasm and desire...foundational for success!

You can use a hockey puck as a spinner; someone posted the use of surgical tubing which is cheap (medical supply store) for resistance; and Ernie talks about driving a certain type of nail deep into the ball for weight...he can be more specific. I think he recommends beginning with eighteen nails? and adding additional nails in increments. My daughter uses masking tape on the floor to work on her stride. When focusing on her timing she uses socks which she pitches at the couch :) There is an endless amount of drills that can be used for training on this site and the Web...use prudence when evaluating training methods and aids. It may help to run it by your coach...

Ang

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
She has good suggestions. Affordability can be found locally as you don't pay for shipping. Check ebay as well, once in a while, you have good stuff also.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 9, 2008
Well, it's just that I'm worried about time... I dont know where to find all this stuff and I don't really have the time to search around for it.

I will make my boyfriend do it... lol

thanks so much guys~

~Court

May 13, 2008
Court,

Have you tried your local Wal-mart? You can find a variety of exercise equipment at affordable prices. Two of my favorites that we got from there is a medicine ball and a body sculpting ball...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6958913

You can use the sculpting balls like portable Finch Windmills (if you're familar with that product). I believe that Hal Skinner used to use something like the sculpting balls back in his day as well.

-Chris

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
To create a weighted ball, use 6d (also called six penny) nails. Drive them into every fourth seam stitch hole to start. Be sure to countersink the nails, which means knocking them below the level of the ball so you can't see them anymore.

One other thing to keep in mind. Pushups, situps, and pullups are free. Do as many as you like!

May 26, 2008
To increase forearm strength tie a brick with shoelace to some kind of stick (in Canada we use broken hockey stick shafts) and roll shoe lace around the stick lifting the brick. Hold your arms at shoulder height to add some shoulder strengthening as well. Three repetitions three times a day will help increase your forearm strength and is very cost effective. You might want to try "painting the bench" with your pitching hand holding on to the stick by cradling it in your fingers suspending the brick. Be mindful of the swinging brick though...go slow. Same number of repetitions should do the trick. A very inexpensive way to strengthen your forearms and increase mobility in your pitching wrist.

pdj

May 7, 2008
Save Money

I like the brick on a string. Have had a weight on a rope/short broom stick for many years. Roll up and roll down the weight palms up and palms down. Also you cah do curls for the biceps and extensions for the triceps with the same device.

Get a rubber ball to squeeze. Do the squeezez for palm and finger work.

Another training aid is a ball with stripes applied with a magic marker. Carry the ball with you and practice your spins whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Practice with balls of different manufacture to get acclimated to different covers and seams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802