Softball Injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Not sure if there is a specific place to post injuries? My DD suffered a hand injury while swinging the bat. It was a high and outside pitch that she chased and took a good cut at. The injury happened in the swing somewhere between contact and rolling over. She continues to play, but feels pain in the area illustrated below. There is a little bit swelling

She said she only feels pain there when swinging at bad pitches... I said maybe it's a good kind of pain, stop swinging at bad pitches. She wasn't impressed, :oops: lol. I understand that's kind of weird, but it seems to happen when she gets fooled. I am thinking it's when she has to use her hands more without the support of her body. Also I think she has a poor follow through which puts additional strain on her hand wrist. It's her bottom hand. I am thinking it's a strain of some sort or a torn ligament.

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this.. and what did you do to help recover?

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Sounds like she needs to see a doctor. There are so many small bones, ligaments, and tendons in the hands that it isn't possible to diagnose without an xray and a physical examination. Even though it only hurts occasionally, I would have her checked by a doctor.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Sounds like she needs to see a doctor. There are so many small bones, ligaments, and tendons in the hands that it isn't possible to diagnose without an xray and a physical examination. Even though it only hurts occasionally, I would have her checked by a doctor.

This ^^^

Jul 9, 2016
Not sure if there is a specific place to post injuries? My DD suffered a hand injury while swinging the bat. It was a high and outside pitch that she chased and took a good cut at. The injury happened in the swing somewhere between contact and rolling over. She continues to play, but feels pain in the area illustrated below. There is a little bit swelling

View attachment 14968

She said she only feels pain there when swinging at bad pitches... I said maybe it's a good kind of pain, stop swinging at bad pitches. She wasn't impressed, :oops: lol. I understand that's kind of weird, but it seems to happen when she gets fooled. I am thinking it's when she has to use her hands more without the support of her body. Also I think she has a poor follow through which puts additional strain on her hand wrist. It's her bottom hand. I am thinking it's a strain of some sort or a torn ligament.

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this.. and what did you do to help recover?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We had a HS player with a similar injury. It only got worse. This player had to take off 3 weeks.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I am not a doctor and, like others here, my advice is to go to a doctor. Based on the location and description of how it happened, it sounds like it could be a hamate bone injury. This is fairly common, and it seems like a few players a year suffer this injury.

It could be something else entirely, but if it is the hamate bone, it's not going to just heal on its own.

There's some good info here, but again, go to the doctor for an actual diagnosis.

Reactions: L.J
May 12, 2016
After a 2 weeks with very little ball my DD gave it a shot again yesterday and it anything it hurts worse. Doctors appointment tomorrow. Poor thing, she has an intense schedule of fall ball lined up. Hopefully it's just a minor strain, tear, sprain etc. Fingers Crossed🤞

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood